cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
basilcj
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post

Unable to try any linux distribution

HP Recommended
HP Envy X360 u110dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i tried to use ubuntu 14.04 LTS as live USB from the boot i can choose LIVE USB after that it shows options like try ubuntu or install ubuntu but when i  choose any of the above option  a black screen is coming up and  nothing happen after that ...the same problem with all other linux distribution except ubuntu 12.02 LTS (it is possible to try or install so i think no issue with BIOS settings) as i am a python developer i need to try(install) latest 14.04 LTS of ubuntu . but HP shows Blank screen not even to use live Ubunts.

i tried OS faild

* Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

*Elementary OS

*Linux Mint

*Fedora

*Korora

*lubuntu

but Ubuntu 12.04 worked fine...but i want to use latest version of any of the above...!

14 REPLIES 14
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,969 40,181 4,651 12,425
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Enter the BIOS and in system configuration-->Boot options,  enable legacy support 

I am not an HP Employee.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
basilcj
Author
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks

But did't work. i tried all possible options in the BIOS...Enabled Legacy boot..! that is why i possible ubuntu 12.04..but not with other ...why ubuntu 12.04 ?? why not other distrubution not working...??

erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@basilcj wrote:

Thanks

But did't work. i tried all possible options in the BIOS...Enabled Legacy boot..! that is why i possible ubuntu 12.04..but not with other ...why ubuntu 12.04 ?? why not other distrubution not working...??

That is interesting.

Which type of hard disk volume are you using? Is it GPT or MBR?

Are you making a clean install or a dual boot setup? 

I am not an HP Employee.
basilcj
Author
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Type of hard disk volume is GPT

making dual boot...currenty ubuntu 12.04 is running as dual boot..

but not possiblewith any other versions... is ubuntu 12.04 have any speciality...??

if i ready to do clean install...even there i can only install Ubuntu 12.04 because this is the only non-windows os loading after GRUB menu....!!

i am getting this windowrL6Jh.jpg

But after i choose any of the above option nothing gonna happen ... a blank screen .   :Crying:

erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The best place to get information on this issue is to join the Ubuntu forum or just read through the threads there.

I am not an HP Employee.
basilcj
Author
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

But none of other company laptop have this issue....issue is with HP that is why i posted here...it is very sad to konw this is wrong place...!

just wait to confirm.!

can anyone suggest any other os other than windows that supported by HP

MAC OS...??

erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mac OSX is a proprietry OS and is only legally installed on apple devices.

There is a list of HP notebooks that are Ubuntu Linux certified at the following URL. I did not find yours on the list of 413 different HP notebooks.

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/make/HP/?page=last

The additional resource for Ubuntu that HP links to contains a link to the same forum that I recommended.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

It takes patience to install Ubuntu side by side with Windows.

There may be well documented steps you need to take to succeed in creating your dual boot  installation of particular versions of Ubuntu that may be found in the forum.

I am not an HP Employee.
Movin2dell
Level 1
2 2 0 3
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem with the exact same machine, a HP Envy x360, bought brand new for the express purpose of installing linux on it as a lab machine.   For months I have tried every trick in the book to get this fine machine to boot a live linux distro off a usb...no joy....just end up with a black screen as described in this post and in others.  Other manufacturers laptops do not have this problem, I know, we buy lots of laptops and install many different distros on them.  As a matter of fact I have an older HP Envy (with UEFI also) that will boot a usb drive, it's just this x360 model has some problem.   Don't bother calling HP support, you'll just get some person who barely speaks english and can't deviate from their script because they don't know anything about the products.

This place is the LAST place we'd come to look for help because the help offered here is basically useless.  Our machines are not on the linux list because HP doesn't even bother to test for compatibility.  If it did, the forums outside of here wouldn't be filled with folks complaining.

So if anybody actually figures out how to force the HP Envy x360 to boot linux  please post a solution because otherwise I got a $800 Windows 10 pile of junk that no one wants to use.

WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
33,814 30,863 3,071 7,583
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey folks ... chill out!  I've been posting on the Ubuntu forums for over ten years, and the advice we give EVERYONE there before they rush out an buy a Windows laptop is to check for compatiblity problems first!!

From what I've read, neither of you did that -- so instead, you come here raving on about HP.

The Ubuntu forums are WHERE you need to go to solve this issue.  The is a senior Moderator there by the handle of OldFred, and he regularly posts information on the specific things you need to do with the newer HP machine to get Ubuntu to install.  If you post there, he will eventually see your post and respond.

Also, did you know that you can already BUY laptops with Ubuntu preinstalled?  Yes -- and a little research would have found that out, too.  Had you asked that question on the Ubuntu forums, you would have been provided links to those companies that sell Linux-loaded laptops.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation