cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgrading/removing DVD-ROM from notebook and insert hdd to DVD ROM and NEW SSD in notebook

HP ENVY Notebook - 15-ae107nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello guys,

can someone tell me if my notebook supports M2 SSD? 
I would like to upgrade it. So, i want to replace my old HDD1TB with new SSD or SSD M2(if i can) and then put my DVD ROM out and insert old HDD there.

I hope i made it clearly what i want to do.

Can i change it alone or do I need to take it to the service?

Can you suggest me which SSD should i take and what adapter to replace DVD ROM?

Many Thanks & best regards!

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,054 41,843 6,642 11,594
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgrading/removing DVD-ROM from notebook and insert hdd to DVD ROM and NEW SSD in notebook

Your model does support both a hard drive and an M.2 both inside the laptop. 

Your Service manual

So there is no need to use a DVD drive adapter for the hard drive. It needs a SATA type M.2 disk 

Solid-state drive (M.2) 256 GB 812708-001

Above is the HP part number.  HP wants $460 for it which is ridiculous:

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=0DC55534119D4C4BBB114ABAAD8FEC85&SearchIn=P...

You can get a 500 gig from amazon.com for about $170:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-Internal-MZ-N5E500BW/dp/B00TGIW1XG/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&q...

This is not easy work and frankly, requires some advanced technical skills, not to mention it will jeopardize the warranty. Post back if you want to kick it around any more. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey, thanks for your answer Huffer.

I want to replace my HDD with this m2 SSD. Should it work?

https://www.mimovrste.com/ssd-diski/kingston-notranji-ssd-disk-120gb-m2-sm2280s3g2

And replace my inserted HDD with DVD-ROM, because i don't need it. 

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes that is a SATA M.2 and will work. You can install the M.2 and keep the internal hard drive and that is way better than putting a drive in a DVD bay adapter. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there.

Just bought Samsung 840 SSD 240gb because i got it for 50€, so i'm not buying m2.

I'm still not sure if we understand each other. I can't have inserted both disks (HDD and SSD) without moving out my DVD ROM or are there already two slots for disks?

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You know I am trying here. There are two places designed to put a storage drive. There is a 2.5 inch bay that can hold a SATA hard drive or solid state drive and then, in addition, there is an M.2 port that can hold a "gumstick" type M.2 SSD disk. 

If you want to use the Samsung 840 and the old hard drive, then you will have to use the DVD drive adapter. You are right. 

The Samsung will occupy the 2.5 inch bay so you have to add the 2.5 inch hard drive in a place not designed for a hard drive, i.e. the optical drive bay. It will work for simple storage, but will not be bootable and the performance will be downclocked a little since the optical bay SATA port is slower. Still OK for most tasks.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I really appreciate yours help.   

Didn't catch it up in notebook service manual, guess, because I'm first time checking some manuals.

I'm going to buy now M2 SSD and leave my HDD installed to main place.

Can you recommend some m2 ssds? 

Is that one suitable for my notebook?

https://www.amazon.de/Crucial-MX300-275GB-M-2-Interne-Festplatte-CT275MX300SSD4/dp/B01IAGSDJ0/ref=sr...

Should i be aware of something? 

best reards, dmitja

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes that is the same kind of M.2 you asked about above. It is a SATA type and is compatible with your laptop. 

You asked if you should be aware, see what I said above:

This is not easy work and frankly, requires some advanced technical skills, not to mention it will jeopardize the warranty.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, I have installed m2 SSD to the notebook. Works perfect, thank you!

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation