Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
shaucal Tutor
Tutor
11 11 0 6
Message 11 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

VFS file conversion; unable to open

'Also an easy way to turn customers into ex-customers!

0 Kudos
SunshineBrl Top Student
Top Student
1 1 0 2
Message 12 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am able to find anything I scan from my Hp Officejet Pro 8500A to a flash drive if I look on the flash drive under HPSCANS. Nothing tells me to do this, though, in any "help" places for the printer/scanner or on the Hp website. However, the files are all there in the folder HPSCANS in PDF format just like I need--for my own viewing or attaching to any email. Works great, but was a bit frustrating trying to figure out where my scanned items actually were saved. Hope this helps for other printers as well.

IronEagle Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 13 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes. That worked for me. The All-In-One HP Touchsmart Printer created this .vfs file also. I looked in the "DCIM" folder and then under a "101HPAIO" folder and found my pictures. Thanks for the tip!

0 Kudos
bobwalden Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 14 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

how do i open .vfs file?

0 Kudos
jalot10 Honor Student
Honor Student
1 1 0 1
Message 15 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There is a folder called HPSCAN, created on your flash device. Your scanned pictures and files are stored in that fder.

mulchy1 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 16 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

my HP printer/scanner/copier model Photosmart C8180 scans documents into a VFS file format which I cannot open

0 Kudos
KarEll Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 17 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks to mmww.  This is where mine were also. In the folder labeled dcim. 

0 Kudos
shaucal Tutor
Tutor
11 11 0 6
Message 18 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

See here:    http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01130554

The VFS ("virtual file system"?) file is just a device HP uses to speed up browsing via thumbnails.  It does take up a little space on your USB stick, and can pretty easily be turned off (see the link).  It's not something you "open" however (and it's not where your pictures are).  If you don't care about the space the VFS file uses (2% of the total memory on the stick according to the link), just ignore it.   Actual pictures or scans should be in that DCIM folder others are talking about.

KarEll Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 19 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. I appreciate the info!
0 Kudos
Kalona Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 20 of 43
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have an HP Image file - file type VFS that was dowloaded from printer to my computer.  I am able to find the file but I cannot view the pictures.  I want to store them on the computer & then email some.  What do I have to do?  It says photo viewer is not there but it is I am on Windows 8.  I read the discussions on that and made it my default but still cannot view.

Thanks.  

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation