Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP2000 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am looking to use my old 2000 notebook which had a major hardware break a few years back. This led me to leave it asside pending my need for the notebook.

Now that I need it, I wander what I am looking for as SSDs go as I do recall the tech advisor I had talked to at the time telling me to whatch out for compatible drives.

Is there a benchmark for SSDs that would or not work with the current hardware in my notebook, keeping in mind that no hardware has been replaced from the original components?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The best consumer SSD out there to me is the Samsung 850 Evo. And your pricing is a little behind the times. A 250 gig is now about $85 and a 120 is about $64 so get the 250:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

You can get other model 250s for a bit less. I have seen them in the 70 dollar range. I have not seen the 120s for less than maybe $50. 

You cannot go wrong with just about any SSD on the market with the possible exception of the Crucual MX series. A lot of issues reported with those and HP laptops. 

It is all backward compatible so no need to try to get older hardware to mesh with the older laptop. Just install and go. Don't worry about benchmarks. It will be plenty fast. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

We really need your exact model number in order to assess the hardware it has and give good advice. But truly the worst thing you can do with an SSD upgrade is overthink it. You can't really go wrong with most of the SSDs now on the market. What were you hoping to spend?

HP Recommended

The exact model is HP2000-240ca Notebook.

I was looking at some benchmarks and it seems that I might have enough with around 100-160GB, which run between 50-100USD. 

It seems toshiba has good stuff around 128-240GB for value but is inconsistent according to plenty reviews, whereas Kingston has more expensive older models that have proved theire 'worth', though they apparently not the quickest for read/write speeds.

Am I onto someting? I must say I have little prior knowledge of the market.

This is for a college pc so no 'GB-large' files or programs such as games. (I wonder if I would even have room for 1xSSD+1xHDD)

HP Recommended

The best consumer SSD out there to me is the Samsung 850 Evo. And your pricing is a little behind the times. A 250 gig is now about $85 and a 120 is about $64 so get the 250:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

You can get other model 250s for a bit less. I have seen them in the 70 dollar range. I have not seen the 120s for less than maybe $50. 

You cannot go wrong with just about any SSD on the market with the possible exception of the Crucual MX series. A lot of issues reported with those and HP laptops. 

It is all backward compatible so no need to try to get older hardware to mesh with the older laptop. Just install and go. Don't worry about benchmarks. It will be plenty fast. 

HP Recommended

I appreciate the tip, this is about as affordable as most 120GB SSDs after taxes and CDN shipping fees. I will take a look at amazon!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.