cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
abhishekmaha
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Which is better for gaming and why?

Hi,

I was researching budget gaming laptops(around $1000, INR 55000) and came up with two choices.....

1)HP Pavilion g6z-1d00 Notebook PC

http://shopping2.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/A2B39AV?HP-Pavilion-g6z-1d0...

2)HP Envy 14-2130nr Notebook PC

http://shopping2.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-ENVY/QE295UA?HP-ENVY-14-2130nr-Noteb...

Could anybody please tell me which is better for gaming (main purpose and best performance)?

The HP Envy looks great but I don't know much about AMD Quad Core.....

Also, is it possible to upgrade the graphics card on the HP Envy ( AMD Radeon 6630 to a better one) via a HP centre?

It seems to run most games quite well, but I need it to be able to play new games for at least 4 years more (college), while not factoring in the costs for any possible graphics card upgrade....

Please help!!

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,227
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No HP laptop is good for gaming, the ATI graphics and processor cards are not up for the task.

There is only one cooling fan in most cases and that's not enough to cool both the GPU and CPU.

You need one that's designed for gaming, this one is a bit over budget, but it has the third generation i7 Intel Processor and the latest NVIDIA 670 video card.

Most gaming laptops are very serviceable, the dust can easily be cleaned from the cooling vents. Unlike all HP laptops where you have to completely disassemble them to do that.

A good gaming laptop will have 2 or 3 cooling fans and large vents.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP9130

The Sager just with it's standard configuration will blow any HP specs out of the water.

Here's another one from Dell, it's over budget, but you will be better in the long run.

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=nam14x2_f_2e&c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&model_id=a...

Have a look at Prostar too, but don't buy an HP laptop for gaming, their cheap, because they're made cheaply.

http://www.pro-star.com/

You will never get 4 years out of an HP laptop for gaming, they run hot and cook themselves, you would be lucky to get two.

You can't upgrade the GPU in the Envy either.

HP will tell you want you want to hear, don't believe them even when the specs tell you it will play games.

Level 17
Level 17
41,622 41,407 6,555 11,404
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't want to agree with the Cat, but he does not speaketh with forked tongue.

Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,227
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well I suppose I may being a bit harsh, but I never was a big fan of ATI processors, they seem to run hotter the Intel.

Their AMD GPU drivers also seem to be finicky compared to NVIDIA, the AMD drivers appear to be easily broken and their new releases can cause problems, eg more frequent crashing.

A couple of the new Envy laptops do have two cooling fans now, but they are kind of thin, they don't look like they can move much air.

Even the models with two fans, still have the heat sink tube running from the CPU over top of the GPU, this is not a good design in my opinion. The heat tubes and fins need to be kept separate.

I guess the problem that HP faces is that people want slim and light machines and HP tries to deliver on this. They are sort of like hybrid of a gaming machine (which are thick and heavy) and an ultra thin Apple.

abhishekmaha
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks guys, that was really informative....

But the fact is that I am from India and Sager doesn't really have any service centres or such here.

I am looking for gaming laptops with a maximum budget of around 50000 INR (nearly 900$).

Believe me, I saw the website of Xotic PC and was convinced that I would soon be playing on a "Compal PBL21", but my brother soon talked me out of it.

What about the Lenovo Thinkpad Y480? That came out recently, I think....

I saw the GPU hierarchy on www.notebookcheck.com and NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M seems good enough on tier 2 level for most games.The i7 processor might produce more heat but it is powerful...

All I saw on forums against it was its maximum resolution and I dont have too much of a problem with it

Thanks again!!

P.S. All I want is a laptop (no matter what screen size) with a decent CPU (i5 or better) and a GPU which will last, at the very least, 4 years playing whatever games that are released till then (not necessarily on high) and within my budget....I really don't mind if it has a 14 inch screen....Even the laptop I asked about above cannot play "The Witcher 2"...Am i asking for too much here?

0 Kudos
abhishekmaha
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

And I also wanted to add that I can't really go too much across my budget....

Thanks but sorry, HaggisCat, I cannot even dream of an Alienware right now....

"Too much design for extra expenses", my brother says...

I'll definitely buy a high end Alienware m18x when I get a job (and save for a looong time)...

Could you mention any game that I could possibly use as a benchmark while searching for laptops?

I was using games like Crysis, Witcher, Assassins Creed 3 (predicted minimum requirements on gamedebate.com), etc...but it seems I might have chosen too low...

0 Kudos
Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,227
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The biggest thing that worries me here is that you will be using it for school. Any computer will be working hard when used for gaming even one that's meant for it.

I don't have any experience with Lenovo, but it seems better then the HP's machine you were looking at.

If you want to get four years out of it I wouldn't spend more the an hour on it every second day. If it's for school then that should be it's primary use, not gaming. If it gets hot and fails one day you could loose all your work.

If you want to use it for gaming then keep all your school work on a separate external hard drive. This should be done even if you don't plan to game.

I can't tell you what game to use as a bench mark as they change so much. My best advice id to use HW Monitor

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html  (the free version)

to keep an eye on the CPU and GPU temps, if they run above 80 degrees on a regular basis, then that's too hot.

Even anything in the 70's range is making it work pretty hard.

Using a good cooling mat will help a little.

Besides, you're going to school, you shouldn't have any time for gaming. :OpenSmile:

abhishekmaha
4 3 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey, that was a very low blow there....:smileymad:

But seriously, is the heat generation that much of a problem?

My brother used a HP Pavilion 5 years ago but he never told me anything like that....

I suppose I could buy a cooling pad...

So, the optimum temperature is about 60 degrees....That program will be very useful...Thanks!!

By the way, I was planning to use the laptop for gaming almost everyday(every spare bit of time)...An hour every second day, how could you do this to me???:smileysad:

What if I let part of the laptop with the fan protrude out of the table so that it blows hot air directly out?

I knew I should have chosen a college with airconditioned hostels.....

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
41,622 41,407 6,555 11,404
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I actually just bought a Y480 for myself about a month ago. It was the first thing available with the Ivy Bridge processor. HP now has some Ivy Bridge offerings, as well. I installed a 512 gb SSD and the thing flies! Seriously I get about a 10 second boot time to the desktop. It also runs amazingly cool. I think Intel has finally whipped the i7 heat issues with the 22 nm process used in making the Ivy Bridge. I understand it runs 20% faster at the same clock speed as the Sandy Bridge and I believe it. However, as good as this laptop is for what I do (video editing and processing large .pdf files and just general office work) it is not a gamer. I am no fan of the switchable graphics. I did figure out how to get the dedicated graphics to turn on and installed a metering program that gives a green light in the taskbar when they are working. I ran some standard video benchmarks and the graphics are not even quite mediocre, just a notch above the Intel graphics, which are actually quite improved over previous versions. So back to the idea of buying a gamer if you want to game.

Level 12
4,523 4,426 238 1,227
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Huffer _ very useful. :generic:

I wasn't aware that there was a heat problem with the i7 processors, my dv8 runs at around 42 to 52 degrees, mind you I don't really put it under much load. I use it to play Blu-ray ISO files on my projector and for photo editing (Adobe CS4), it's an 820QM.

I have also changed the thermal compound to ICDiamond and drilled holes in the speaker cover to improve air flow, that made a difference too.

@ abhishekmaha

Don't take my comment to seriously, although I think it has some truth to it, it was meant to poke a bit of fun at you.  :TongueOut:

Heat has always been one of the biggest factors when it comes to any computer, designers try to make them thinner, lighter and cheaper and those types don't work for gaming very well. They're OK for the occasional one, but not on a regular basis. I believe that if you game on any machine that was not meant for it, you will not get 4 years out of it _ 2 years.

I wish I could tell you different, but I am not going to lie to you.

Heat basically affects 3 things on a laptop, the solder that holds the components on the motherboard, any mechanical moving parts, eg the hard drive, fan _ and the battery. You can remove the battery to prolong its life when gaming.

Heat breaks down the solder over time and the mother board simply stops working as far as the hard drive, it stops spinning because the tiny bearing(s) in there dry out and seize up.

If you don't want to use a cooling mat then prop up the back of the laptop, hanging it over the edge of the table will expose the fan intake, but will block off other vents.

60 degrees is a bit warm too, 50 is better or rather, the cooler the better. What ever machine you get, make a note of what the temps are when you first boot up and when it's hot. The idea is to get an average so you can judge when it is dangerously getting hot.

P.S. Be sure and give Huffer a kudos too. :Wink:

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation