cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mrthw56 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 8.1 update error code 0xC1900101 - 0x40019

Envy 17-J011nr Notebook PC. I upgraded to W8.1 and PC was working. Downloaded upgrade for Intel HD Graphics 4000 - PC working OK at that time. After downloading software, install started and then got blank screen and was unable to complete upgrade. Tech Support had me do a reset, but have not been able to upgrade back to W8.1 Reset twice and recovered over a dozen time, but nothing. When I get it back it restores W8 and I start all over. Started before Christmas and still unable to upgrade. All software compatible when checked. I need a fix or replacement for this machine!!!!
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
professophill Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same exact problem here, except with Envy 15

0 Kudos
mrthw56 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This reminds me of earlier MS OS's. They would release something and have the community debug it and give you 90 of free support. This is causing all kinds of problems with other manufacturers so don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I was told by HP Tech Support the first time that it would be resolved by sometime in February and another tech said 4 to 5 months. My suggestion is try to upgrade about once per month and hopefully sometime this month they might get it fixed. Also, try to flush the store cache, reboot, flush the store cache after it comes up and they try to upgrade again. Try the followiing if you have not already tried this:

1)  Windows key + R

2)  enter MSstore.exe

3)  select OK or hit enter

4) try to upgrade

In some cases it seems to work. I have put in over 40 hours trying to get this upgraded, but no luck. I don't think that MS even knows whats wrong. If you get it to upgrade, set a restore point immediately afterwards and if it goes down later you can always restore to that point and you will still be at 8.1.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
dQQm Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay,  here's what I got on this issue.  I originally updated Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1 no problem.  Then I needed to reset the computer. Once that was done, 8.1 would not install again. Calling HP about the problem was "It's a Microsoft issue, contact them." So I did and two days later 8.1 was installed. According to the MS tech the problem is in the Intel HD 4000 graphics chip "HARDWARE". Driver change will not fix this!!! Hardware needs a chip design change, then a chip change, to work correctly. At least that's the way I understand it. The MS tech was able to get Windows 8.1 installed by uninstalling the graphics driver through the device manager. The problem now is that Windows 8.1 needs more updates and, when shuting down, the system installs them, and back to black screen. So now I guess I will also uninstall the graphics driver and see if I can get the 33 or so updates to 8.1 to work.

0 Kudos
dQQm Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

YES!!

Update of what has happened today. So I reset the computer to 8.0. Did ALL Windows Updates including optionals. Did all HP Driver Updates. Set a restore point. Contacted Microsoft to see if I could download 8.1 ISO to burn a DVD as with my internet speed it takes 2 hours to download. No Luck my computer only has a windows 8 liscense key so can't use update by using product key. Uninstalled Display adapter "intel HD 4000" this is important!!!  Downloaded the windows 8.1 update from the store. Computer re-started okay.  Create a restore point. Update all HP drivers! Give your computer a bit of time here. Mine got the latest HD 4000 driver from online somewhere. The HP driver is not as new as the one found online. Re-start only after I attempted to install all hp drivers. All other updates worked okay HP and Windows. What a PITA this has been!!! Hope this helps.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation