cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
saabi
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

biometric authentication problem

HP Recommended

Logging into my HP ProBook S-series laptop (windows7) after typing my password and next the HP ProtectTools Security Manager comes up .....waiting waiting waiting....and then i get the GUI  "The biometric authentication service is not functioning properly" and i am left with 2 options 1. "Log on without biometric functioality" or 2. "Wait 30 seconds, then try again", but when i tried to start it i get an error , Any one got any ideas on what i can try to fix this.....??

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Checkurtech
Level 8
1,506 1,473 80 316
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi 

Boot into safe mode ( tap F8 ) goto safe mode and complete these commmands

1. Logon to the computer with administrator account. 
2. Click on Start button. 
3. At the bottom of start menu in search box type gpedit.msc and press enter key. 
4. On Local Group Policy Editor snap-in under Computer Configuration expand Administrative Templates and expand Windows Components. 
5. From the expanded list click on Biometrics and from the right pane double click on Allow users to log on using biometrics. 
6. On the opened window select Disabled radio button and click on Ok button to accept and confirm your configuration. 
7. Deny Biometric Authentication 
8. Close Local Group Policy Editor snap-in and open Command Prompt. 
9. In command window type gpupdate /force and press enter key to update your computer configuration with latest settings. 
10. Close Command Prompt.

For those who have HP ProtectTools Security Manager, go to control panel then programs, and repair the program. It works after reboot.

Checkurtech

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
0 Kudos
devildog3049
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried to repair this issue by fixing the HP Protect Tools Manager and am still getting the same GUI when I log on.  Anymore ideas?

0 Kudos
BrettDashwood
1 1 0 2
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After having the same I found this HP forum post as well as another post including a response from user Veltainehttp://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/Biometric-Functionality/td-p/1165313

...that one then linked to an article: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/99dfa3e4-7cf5-4435-81af-4d91f3968b4b/hp-laptop-and...

...which goes on to claim that the "offending file" is: C:\Windows\system32\DPCrProv.dll

I located and renamed this file and all worked immediately (no restart required, at least in my case)

BTW, you can probably rename it to whatever you like, however FYI I self documented in my renamed file to:

"DPCrProv.dll.but renamed 2015-12-02 bcos of biometirc logon issue"

I hope this helps someone else.

TD71
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Awesome!  Thank you.  I've been looking around all day trying to resolve this issue.  You would think I'd simply be able to uninstall the software and that would resolve the problem but no such luck.  Renaming DPCrProv.dll worked perfectly.  I wish HP would stop putting so much bloatware on their PCs.  This laptop doesn't even have a biometric (fingerprint) reader but yet it kept trying to use it at login.  What a pain!  Thank you for your post.

0 Kudos
sky357
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

checkurtech,          I have the security manager, used your advise, no more problem. Thank you.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation