cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Amy26
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

getting "replace hard disk error (#10008)" even after replacing hard disk

Hi!

My laptop- HP Pavillion dv 6502- is 4 years old.

Recently, the hard disk supposedly crashed as I was not able to get anything other than a blank screen. I checked with BIOS diagnostics, and it showed error #10008- Replace Hard disk.

So, I went to an hp service centre and got the hard disk replaced.

My earlier hard drive was a Seagate 160 gb momentus 5400.3 disk.

New one is the Seagate 250 gb disk.

The laptop was working properly the day the hard disk was replaced. BIOS diagnostic status for the disk was "Passed"

But, the very next day when i tried starting the system, I got a blank screen again. I again went to BIOS and ran the diagnostic test. I performed the test twice. It took a lot of time to finish- jumping from Reaching till '80% complete', then jumping back to '10% complete', then '90% complete', then '10% complete', and so on.. finally showing '100% complete' and status : #10008 - Replace hard disk - both the times.

Then, I had to go out of station and so, I didn't touch my laptop for 2 days. When i came back, the computer was working fine and the BIOS test status said "Passed" for the disk

What could be the problem due to which my problem wasn't starting earlier- even after replacement of disk? Is it possible that the disk was not the problem in the first place?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
cbjulio
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there...

I am having the same trouble...did you fix that?

0 Kudos
SrinivasP
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can someone help me to get the place where i can buy the hard disk? Even, i am having the same harddisk error and my laptop is hp pavillion dv6700.

Thanks in advance

Srinivas Poosarla

0 Kudos
sdt35045
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I ran a primary hard disk self test and got the # 10008 replace hard disc error, but the memory passed. I am currently able to use my computer which is a HP Pavillion DV6700 Notebook PC. I discovered this error trying to track down why I can no longer burn disc (cd or DVD) it will not read a dvd but will play a cd. I check drivers etc in device manager and it says it is working ok but have not been able to get it to work.  My system has been acting up but fortunately has not crashed. I am hoping to avoid this. Would it be cheaper to buy another pc and have my programs, documents transferred or replace hard disk?

0 Kudos
Amy26
3 2 0 1
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!

Turned out the second new Hard disk was also not fine. I went back to the service centre and got the hard disk replaced again. This time the laptop has been working fine.

Amy26
3 2 0 1
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@sdt35045

do make copies of all the documents and files before the hard disk completely crashes and you lose all data. If your computer isn't that old and you're not having any other problems, i would suggest buying a new hard disk as it will be a cheaper option.

0 Kudos
imaredhead
Level 2
9 8 2 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Absolutely! Do make copies of your files if you can and while you can!! 🙂

My laptop went from giving the error 10008 replace hard drive to No IDE Device Found which would probably explains why it tells me there's no operating system found when it tries to start up.

Since it has been acting very flaky for a couple weeks now, I am hoping that after leaving it shut off for another day, I will be able to boot up and complete backing up my files since the problem is happening intermittently for now.

Last year my sound card went out on it so I'm thinking that I will try to find a refurbished one to purchase for 3 or 4 hundred dollars and later build a desktop that I know will last a long time. I run my computer all the time. I know laptops are not designed to be to run that way so I guess it's no surprise that my laptop is finally dying. RIP 😞
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation