cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Ali_jabbar
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

how to attach eGPU

HP Recommended
pavilion g6 1068se
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I want to attach an eGPU using ((pci gdc)) I saw the method on youtube but I have heard something like Whitelisted Bios will prevent me to do this because this device ((pci gdc)) will be attached to the m-pci port of the laptop,so wont computer detect my eGPU? and how to solve this problem??
I really need this pci gdc for better gaming experience please tell me how to solve this? is it really found((whitelisted Bios))?

my Hp pavilion g6 1068se specs are

here:http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02780983-1

and here the video where I knew about pci gdc:

https://youtu.be/bP_8EYQ-2RA

please tell me everything I know about this thing.
7 REPLIES 7
Huffer
Level 18
Level 18
45,579 44,628 7,330 13,076
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You notice this is attached to a WWAN second pci-e slot and not the wi-fi card slot. On HP laptops the pci-e wifi slot is for a single purpose; wifi. Any other device you attach to the port will not work. 

I have been pretty vocal about my reaction to this device. See here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/HP-Envy-DV-7-7292nr-mPCI-e/m-p/4978933#M170763

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
mrki
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, I have HP Pavilion dm4 3010en beats edition.

This is dual gpu laptop it has hd7470m and intel , my hd7470m inside the laptop died and after week I finaly made it funcional again but intel grafics are not good enough for my use. Then I heard about egpu and though that because I have one empty pci port and one with wifi card in laptop. So do you think this would work?

Sparkyte
Level 2
16 14 1 4
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Depressing. HP needs to get it's act together.

PeerOne
Level 11
11,219 2,090 436 154
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Sparkyte wrote:

Depressing. HP needs to get it's act together.

huh? System do have a lifespan usage this goes to all laptops makers not just HP. If something is going to fail it will fail and if you fail to do proper system hardware maintenance and keep vents and thermal paste up to date then failure is coming down the line.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
PeerOne
Level 11
11,219 2,090 436 154
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@mrki wrote:

Hello, I have HP Pavilion dm4 3010en beats edition.

This is dual gpu laptop it has hd7470m and intel , my hd7470m inside the laptop died and after week I finaly made it funcional again but intel grafics are not good enough for my use. Then I heard about egpu and though that because I have one empty pci port and one with wifi card in laptop. So do you think this would work?

That is a myth no such thing exists. Your choices are to pay to have it fixed or get a replacement board with the video problem fixed. Or buy a new system that has switchable graphics that you can use. And if your gaming from what the posting sounds like your going to have to put a huge invest in a Gaming Laptop starting at 2000US to play dedicated games.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
Sparkyte
Level 2
16 14 1 4
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Actually you're a myth. eGPUs exist. I've seen and worked with bits of the technology in use but the sad fact is that HP white lists it's mPCIe slots. Only thing that can utilize the White Listed slots are HP's own approved components. Some mPCIe slots are not even true mPCIe slots, they are paired links with USB interface. What you're stating is a frabricated life expectancy of hardware. It is true that older hardware fails to become relevent as time passes, but highly maintained equipment does not fail immediately especially in four year of time.

Modding an HP bios can in fact remove the White List, but it's not advised because there is a high risk of bricking the system.

agrego17
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Can you elaborate on the whole bios modding thing? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to even attempt it (what's involved, the steps, the risks, etc). I have an HP Envy DV7 with an i7-3630QM, 12 GB RAM, and integrated graphics but I haven't been able to find a lot of info on modding bios for this exact purpose.
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation