cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jolietbear
Level 1
13 6 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp simplepass problems after w10 anniv update

HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just upgraded windows 10 pro 64bit with anniversary update. I was advised by someone to change my windows login to a local password, which I did. Then problems started when I tried to login. So I tried system restore which won't work since ALL restore points were deleted when I updated !!

I changed back to fingerprint for login but now simplepass won't use the same print as before? It says to use a different finger since that print is already associated with a previous account. 

How do I get back to my previous account and password vault now?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Level 15
Level 15
23,815 23,596 2,044 7,475
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp simplepass problems after w10 anniv update

@jolietbear

@jolietbear wrote:

I just upgraded windows 10 pro 64bit with anniversary update. I was advised by someone to change my windows login to a local password, which I did. Then problems started when I tried to login. So I tried system restore which won't work since ALL restore points were deleted when I updated !!

I changed back to fingerprint for login but now simplepass won't use the same print as before? It says to use a different finger since that print is already associated with a previous account. 

How do I get back to my previous account and password vault now?

It is unclear why changing your Sign-in options to a local account would help unless you had lost the ability to log in using your Microsoft login credentials.

For the moment, I will assume you are able to log into the account in some manner, using either your local account or your Microsoft login. 

At this point, I suggest you ADD an additional account to your computer that provides Admin privileges -- this provides a means of logging into your computer should you inconveniently damage your main login account.

Create a Restore Point before you make any (more) changes.

If you intend to use a Microsoft account login, and assuming you have a usable Microsoft password you can use to log into the computer, (re)instate the Microsoft login > ensure the login credentials allow you access (login) to the computer via your typed password.

Windows 10 fingerprint login (as you know) requires an assigned PIN number to enable the fingerprint logon setup.  Once engaged, the native Windows software can log you into the computer using an assigned fingerprint.  The fingerprint assigned to your Microsoft fingerprint logon can be removed (or other fingerprints added):  Windows key > Settings > Account > Sign-in Options

HP SimplePass, if left on the system during the upgrade (loosely worded for the purpose of describing the Anniversary Update), might have been left in an unusable state.  That is, the program software remains intact while the database that manages your account actions  (fingerprint login) is mangled.

Assuming you are using some version of Series 8 HP SimplePass (based on the word "vault").

Fancy_Lines_2.jpg

You might be able to fix the HP SimplePass fingerprint setup:

Open HP SimplePass >

Log into the program using a working fingerprint or opt to use your Windows password to gain access to the program >

(Re)enable (check / uncheck) the Sign-in to Windows box >

Add a new / different fingeprint (than used previously) >

Close HP SimplePass >

Open HP SimplePass >

Log into the program using the "new" fingerprint or opt to use your Windows password to gain access to the program >

Remove the original existing (non-working) fingerprint >

Close the HP SimplePass application >

Open SimplePass >

Log into the program using the "new" fingerprint or opt to use your Windows password to gain access to the program >

(Re)Add the original fingerprint >

Close HP SimplePass

Control Panel > HP Security Assistant > Manage Passwords and Accounts >

HP SimplePass > log in with password

Click on Settings > Modify > Add / remove / rename fingerprint settings >

Next OR X (X = “go back”)

SimplePass_8_Logon_Control_1.JPG

SimplePass_8_Logon_Control_2.JPG

NOTE:  Do not duplicate fingerprints added / used in the Windows fingeprint logon (remember those are controlled in Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options

If no joy...

(Re)install the latest Series 8 HP SimplePass:

sp75196_HP_SimplePass_V8.0.1.53A_W7-W10 32/64bit

After you install the software, restart the computer and log in (using your password or a Windows fingerprint).

If you have it, now is the time to Import your Vault backup (filename.opi).

Check your fingerprint setup > Modify as needed to remove / add fingerprints

Fancy_Lines_2.jpg

Help, suggestions, and examples:

Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

Read the first page: Dragon Document Guidelines

Section:

• Safe-House Account – Options for Access, Secondary Administrative Account
  • System_Restore_Point

• Reset / Edit / Website / Sign-in – Series 8 HP SimplePass
    • Add / Remove fingerprints

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation