cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

notebook returned from "HP Support" with dvr missing and will not power on

HP Recommended
Envy DV6 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I had originally called in to support to ask them to help me stop the automatic update from Windoze 8 to Windoze 8.1 and to also shut off the reminder notices about that.  Tech support supposedly walked me through that, but after that, the next time I booted up the notebook, it automatically updated to 8.1 anyway, and there was no way to stop it.

Shortly thereafter, the notebook could only boot to BIOS, or error code 3F0, but Windoze 8.1 had predictably self destructed and could no longer be found.

Which is also btw how I discovered that they had apparently also not installed the UEFI that they said was "installed on every laptop" blah blah blah...

By this time, I was out of warranty, but I was offered a service "deal" that seemed to make sense for the cost v.time to do it myself factor, so I took them up on it.   But I was told that if the hard drive needed to be replaced, they would not return my old hd to me, so I first had a local tech attempt data recovery on that.  He didn't have time, and couldn't get it done, and asked me to try to get the hd back anyway.  He also checked out some basic connections inside and stuff, to see if there was something obvious and easy he could fix. 

But he also told me that a) there was a brown concrete hardened paste like substance on the back of the keyboard that would not clean off, he thought it was either some sort of plastic glue or thermal paste that had baked.  and b)  99.9% of all manufacturer "technicians" will declare "liquid damage" (or some other fault of the user) and he thought I was wasting my time to send it in and they would not perform the repair.   We even bet lunch on that.  BUT... I was to pay for this repair, so I decided to send it in anyway.  And... he took pictures of certain things to help me if they did as he said they would.   

Then, just as my local technician predicted,  the notebook came back today from HP's generous service offer, not only NOT fixed, but also no longer powers up at all and no longer even has a DVR, and covered in what looks like white plaster dust.  Oh and without the recovery media.  I haven't opened it up to see what else is missing, but I am furious that they sent it back in worse condition.   I don't know how HP will remedy this, but I can promise you that my personal remedy will not be to purchase a new HP notebook PC.  Ever. 

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
20,511 15,846 325 967
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Seimi ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"You have no private messages."

I also got an email that someone (Marc) had tried to call me yesterday, but was unable to reach me, but of course I received no such call and there were no missed calls on my phone.

This is me, not growing happier or more fond of HP.   How are you planning to remedy this situation?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

lol.  I did get a PM from support person asking for my serial number and stuff, and after I responded, I got this reponse:

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I'm sorry to inform you that your image was rejected because it does not relate to any HP Support Forum Question or it may have contained personal information (serial # visible in image). From our Rules of Participation:

Protect privacy - yours and others'. Don't share anything about yourself that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard. Don't post contact or other personal information-your own or anyone else's-or any content that you receive in one-to-one communications without the author's consent. For example, don’t post your computer’s serial # or contact information publicly, and do not allow someone you don’t know to remotely take control of your computer.

Sharing serial numbers or product keys, personal email addresses, telephone numbers, and last names is not allowed for your safety.

Please remove or otherwise hide any serial numbers and then repost your image.

Thank you

So.   It seems to me that HP employed people should KNOW THIS when they ask for this information this way!  For the 4th(?) time... I would like to know how HP plans to actually RESOLVE the issue, since we can't seem to get beyond basic introductions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Oh so I just got THIS email.

Congratulations Seimi !

As the result of your contributions to the community, you have earned a new rank. Thanks for being a member of our community. We appreciate your active participation!

Your new rank is Top Student

SERIOUSLY HP????   SERIOUSLY?????   How about a little bit of attention to the ISSUE I HAVE BEEN WRITING ABOUT, which you seem to be finding every possible way to ignore.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

STILL WAITING on a resolution to this!  And something beyond "let's blame the stupid consumer" game would be good.  HP is the one that returned it with parts missing and so that it will no longer power up.  Conversations are only reverting back to their fabricated water damage claim as the reason they refused to fix it, "not cost effective", even though I was paying for it?  What happened?  DID THE PARTS MELT AWAY IN THE LAB?  Or did they just need spares for another unit, and decided stealing from mine was "most cost effective"?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

STILL WAITING.  It has been over a week with no resolution to this.  Finally got the notebook opened up and so far have been told that NOT ONE connection was plugged in, the case was not replaced correctly, part of the plastic was broken.  I can only guess that the technician who was assigned to work on my notebook PC was too inept to even know what they were looking at when they opened it up, because they didn't even know how to put it back together.  HP really sux.  Never buy an HP.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

STILL NOTHING FROM HP.  CUSTOMER SERVICE EXTREME FAIL.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was told on Monday that an Executive Customer Service Manager would call me back in the next day or two.  And when that didn't happen by Thursday, I called again and was told to expect an ECM call or a scheduled call back by 1 p.m. today, which also has not happened.  Just another useless apology for the inconvenience.  

People need to be aware before they bring an HP product into their home that this is the sort of treatment they can expect from HP.  Refusal to own the problem that they created and utter abyssmal lack of customer service.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation