cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
MartyTheArtist
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

ordering windows restore disks

Pavilion Dv6 & HP2000 laptops
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Help!  I have 2 laptops that I want to reformat and reinstall Win 7 on (64 bit). I have legal copies of Win 7 on both but in my last move some office books and folders went missing, and yup, my folders with install disks for most of my software are nowhere to be found.

I do have the Win Product Keys for both, I'm wondering if I can order actual HP install disks to reinstall the O.S. and drivers specific to each laptop?  Is it too late to still get disks for Win 7 now that Win 10 is all the rage?  I really like the stability I get in Win 7... these 2 laptops are runnin strong but it's time to do my wipe and reinstall process to clean em out!   🙂

Please direct me if there is a location where I can place that order, and thanks all!!

-Marty Mooz

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Level 20
Level 20
113,258 103,435 16,269 24,984
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi, Marty:

Please post the product numbers for both notebooks.

The product number can be found on the same sticker as the serial number.

MartyTheArtist
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Paul, thanks for the fast reply! Each one has it's original Windows 7 Product Key sticker and no other, there is a barcode and number printed above the Product Key barcode and number, is that the number you mean?

thanks tonz-

Marty

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You're very welcome.

Please see this guide for how to find the product number of your notebooks.

The notebook product number is different than the windows 7 product keys which you should not post.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108/

MartyTheArtist
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You 'da man Paul, thanks!    🙂

The HP 2000 number is-   LW428UA#ABA

The Pavillion didn't respond to the keystrokes, which makes me think it was an aftermarket Win 7 install; I downloaded Support Assistant and finally got to the info screen;

The Pavillion Dv6 number is-  QE068UA#ABA

I really appreciate the expert help here Paul-

Marty Mooz 

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi, Marty:

For the HP 2000...

Click on the link below, select the W7 operating system from the drop down menu.

The link to order recovery media is the last item on the page.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-2000-200-Notebook-PC-series/5091493/model/5118923

For the dv6-6145dx...

Click on the link below, select the W7 operating system from the drop down menu.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-dv6-6100-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-serie...

The link to order recovery media is the last item on the page.

MartyTheArtist
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Well Paul, your input was excellent throughout, my next experience with HP, not so much. I tried to order the HP2000 disks and it said I have reached the limit of physical media to order. I did order the disks a few years back to do this same thing, so I guess they only allow us to do that once.    😞    I'll have to drive to my storage and pray that I missed the box with my older disks in it, but I don't think that's the case.  

Then I tried to order the Pavillion media and as soon as I got to the order form I was stopped by a non responsive serial number window... that is, the cursor appears in said window, but it would show no response to my keystrokes. The rest of the page seems fine with the rest of the input boxes being active, but without the serial number box being active I'm blocked!

Geez, not my day man; through no fault of yours of course, you've been very helpful!  I'll try again tomorrow incase the non-responsive serial input box is a temporary glitch. As for the HP2000, I have an all new question for you!   I've always preferred to wipe and reinstall the O.S. from external disk, but assuming I can't locate my old ones now, how effective is running the "System Recovery" program? My end goal is to remove all the numbing clogging data from years of use and return to the literal clean HD with just the factory data left intact. Can I do this with the already present System Recovery program?

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Sorry you had such a rough time there!

You can try running the system recovery method from the recovery manager program, or F11 prompt.

It should not work any different than using the recovery disks.

In case you want the disks anyway, you can order them from this non-HP vendor as well.

The cost shouldn't be much more than if you ordered from HP (which seems to be problematic).

HP 2000:

http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-21194-windows-7-64b-recovery-kit-655020-002-for-hp-notebook-pc-mod...

dv6-6145dx:

http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-22134-windows-7-64b-recovery-kit-656000-002-for-hp-pavilion-entert...

MartyTheArtist
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Paul, you continue to amaze and impress!!!   I just went to that "non-HP vendor" site, figured if I order both sets of disks there I'd save some shipping from ordering one there and one thru HP (and yes, HP's non-responsive serial number box is working again today)... so both recovery sets are ordered, I can do my reinstalls next week and be a happy camper!!

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP PAUL!!  Have a great weekend-

Marty Mooz

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Anytime, Marty.

Glad to have been of assistance.

You have a great weekend too!

Paul

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation