Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So I'm trying get my HP ProBook 6550p to boot Linux in UEFI mode.

Some sources say that OS Boot Manager points to \EFI\Microsoft\BOOT\bootmgfw.efi in your ESP, I've placed my EFI Shell there as a PoC test, which of course fails and errors out with the above message.

What am I doing wrong here?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

That path would be for the Windows UEFI boot manager, which reads the \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD database to get the boot configuration.  In order to boot that path, the UEFI firmware has to be configured with that as the default.

If the computer firmware is not configured to boot efi, it will be trying to load the MBR and boot record.

A ufi shell would be in a path such as \EFI\Boot\ShellX64.efi.  To get that to work there has to be a shell entry available at boot time.  I have only gotten that to work once--and that was NOT on my g7-1117cl  laptop.

I have been looking into this for my Pavillion g7-1117cl laptop, so far with no luck.  I can boot into the diagnostics on the HP_TOOLS partition under the path \Hewlett-Packard\SystemDiags.  This program has the  name of SystemDiags.efi or SystemDiags32.efi.  Since it can load that efi file it should be able to load bootmgrfw.efi.  But it still needs to be configured in the firmware to boot to that file. 

HP Recommended

Yes, all of what you said applies to a generic UEFI implementation. HP however doesn't follow that standard it appears.

It took me three days untill I finally figured out that HP's implementation is hardcoded to look for the Microsoft BCD bootfw.efi. Moving GRUB2 to that path made it load instantly.

And as far as it goes for the HP_TOOLS partition, that needs to be in a MBR partition table and not GPT. Some suggests a hybrid GPT table but I haven't been bothered to try it out since I just got it booting.

Sorry HP but that's a big thumbs down from my side, and rather pointless rather than looking in the generic \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi, the Microsoft loader goes to that path as well so there's very little reason why to hardcode it.

HP Recommended

Are you saying that your laptop will boot efi. even if it is a non-standard path?  You can easily tell in Windows by entering bcdedit in an elevated cmd prompt.

Unless the F2 tools I saw were in the firmware, it was getting them from the HP_TOOLS partition on the GPT drive.  Note, it was the first partition, formatted fat32, and the EFI system partition.

I have played a little with creating a hybrid MBR/GPT drive using gdisk from Rod Smith.  But my attempts so far were not recognized correctly by Windows.  I have also prepared a BootDUET USB drive but have yet to use it.

HP Recommended

Hi everyone, have you solved the problem? Seems i have the same. I don't have OS Boot Manager in my BIOS and UEFI boot menu anymore. When I bought my laptop HP Pavilion 15-p011sv i had Windows 8.1 installed in it. Then it started to throw BSODS and i decided to reinstall to new clean system. The problem i faced, when i tried to install on GPT format HDD it wasn't working (i had some errors). So i converted to mbr format to find reason why. I want to recover UEFI loader, is it possible? new install of OS doesn't help. I will try to burn new OS Win 8.1, may be that's a problem. Any ideas of it all?

thank you

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.