cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
the_cold_wind
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post

"Boot device not found. Please install an operating system on your hard disk."

HP Recommended

I have a Pavilion dv6 - 1247cl. Recently I tried to start it up and I got the message  "Boot device not found. Please install an operating system on your hard disk." Along with "Error codes: Hard Disk (3F0). I read in the forums that similar problems had been solved by removing, cleaning and reconnecting the hard disk. I did this and found that it didn't help. I've found now that I have two possible options: Should I buy a reboot disk, and if so, what disk exactly do I need? (Please install an operating system on your hard disk) Or is that not likely to work cause I need to replace the hard disk? (meaning that I would have to figure out what would work in place of my Seagate Momentus 5400.5, ATA Disc Drive 320 GB)

Anyone know? Thanks for any help or advice you guys have.

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
hsiah
Level 2
Level 2
25 25 1 5
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you try the HDD test program in Bios?

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Please click "Kudos" if you think this reply helped.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem
the_cold_wind
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That was something else that had been suggested in the forums. I Used F10 and then F9 to reset the Bios to the default settings and then saved the changes. However, when the laptop started back up, I was given the same message. Thanks for the suggestion though.

0 Kudos
hsiah
Level 2
Level 2
25 25 1 5
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If the HDD self test program has been processed, and you get the result of "Can't fund HDD", then it means your HDD is failed.

You can call HP Service line to prepare a Service Event to swap a HDD.

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Please click "Kudos" if you think this reply helped.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem
ManjunathTech
Level 13
Level 13
5,903 5,828 465 1,596
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Please find the link given below might help you to resolve your issue. Incase still does not work please call HP Technical support and check the warranty status and get the part replaced.

Resolve Boot Device not Found Error Message

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
the_cold_wind
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think you're right, the hard disc has failed. I've been looking online at how much a replacement hard disc will cost. Most likely I will order a new one and install it myself, my warrenty ran out a few years back. Most likely I will have to buy a new copy of windows 7 or Vista, right? I figure that buying a new hard disc, it won't come with an operating system already installed on it.

0 Kudos
ManjunathTech
Level 13
Level 13
5,903 5,828 465 1,596
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

I am not very sure about the Hard drive price incase you like to order the pat you could call HP Technical support and check for the price or you could visit 

www.partsurfer.hp..com 

select your country and put in your product number and and check for the price.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
0 Kudos
Sol_Hemal
Level 2
7 5 0 14
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Man, Its not a big issue. It is because of your new laptop doesn't support legacy support of other operating systems.
Dont worry

GOTO BIOS(GENERALLY BY PRESSING F10)>SYSTEM CONFIGURATION>LEGACY SUPPORT>"ENABLE" IT

THEN PRESS F10 TO SAVE AND EXIT.. NOW YOU CAN SEE YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM WILL WORK LIKE A CHARM
(INCASE OF ANY HARDWARE DAMAGE IT WILL NOT BE WORKED)

RAGARDS

THANK YOU

navazkhan
Level 2
14 14 0 3
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi All,

If you get this Error codes: Hard Disk (3F0) , after trying the HDD Diagnoistic if the problem is not fixed, you have to replace the HDD.

Dont waste your time in troubleshooting.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Michael624
1 1 0 1
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

dude thank you!!!! i thought i broke my laptop if it wasnt for u it would not be working write now

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation