cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
dmaciuca1 Top Student
Top Student
2 2 0 2
Message 11 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"HP Solution Center cannot run because your device installation is not complete"

Thanks, PortlanPaw!

That has been my experience also.  Win XP, Win 7, Mac OS (laptops and desktops) same horrible experience with HP printers.  Not one printer, but two: J4680 and OfficeJet Pro 8500.  The most shameful thing is that two of the computers are HP yet they don't play well with HP printers.  Disgusting!

HP is becoming like Sony (and that's not a compliment): good hardware, horrible software!

REB65 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 12 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"HP Solution Center cannot run because your device installation is not complete"

Thanks PortlandPaw. That solution worked for me. I have done many re-installs etc just like other users and still the same problem. So yes it seems you are correct - HP just need to fix the problem, fix the software, as it is obvious that it does not matter what model HP printer, computer hardware or software that you have many people are having the same problem. But until HP fix it - your solution is quick and I can certainly recommended it.

0 Kudos
Bill2010 Top Student
Top Student
5 5 0 1
Message 13 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had to do a total uninstall and reinstall of the driver. However, as you will see from this and other Support Forum threads there seem to be multiple stumbling blocks to the uninstall/reinstall process. Seems very glitchy. After nearly two days of unsuccessful tries I finally got it done. I did find three different official HP scenarios for the process, including one automatically sent to my desktop by HP upon one of the earlier failures. That sequence did not work work for me, but it was close--I got a partial install. But on another HP help file titled "Product Software Installation stalls or stops in Windows 7 with a USB connected product HP..." I found a six step process (with details for each), and it worked for me on the second try. Here are the six steps, plus extra things I did or discovered that could have helped make it work. I did step 5b. first: downloading and saving  the HP driver file on my computer before starting other steps, since I elected not be be on the internet as I did the installation.

1. Uninstall the HP printer software. See my note below about four ways HP lists do to this. I used two of them.

2. Turn off the 'terminate and stay resident programs (has to do with system configuration). See HP details.

3. Clear temporary files and folders through Windows accessories.

4. Disable firewalls (see my note below about this)

5a. Disconned the cable from BOTH the printer itself and from the computer, BUT TURN ON the printer.

5b. Get the lastest version driver for you printer from the HP site and save it where you can find it. (I did this first, before other steps, so I could install off-line)

5c. Install the driver software that you saved. (see my note below about an optional step that helped me with this, so the install will complete, and not hang up)

6. Enable the start up software that was turned off with step 2. (See HP details)

Notes: there are versions of HP instructions that  skip steps 2 and 6 and or 3 and 4, but that would not work in my case. I describe the steps that finally worked in case they can help someone else--this has been so frustrating. This uninstall/install process seems to be very touchy and perhaps changes depending on your printer or other configuration of your computer:

Note about step 1: I found an HP document that listed four ways to uninstall. On my final and successful attempt I actually used two of the techniques. First I used the HP uninstaller program from the start menu program list on my computer stored with other HP stuff there. When I rebooted it did not appear that any HP programs were removed, but who knows, perhaps this got rid of some hidden file somewhere that had been causing all of the problems. Then I used the regular uninstall process from the control panel, and that worked. All HP programs were gone upon reboot.

Note about step 3: I counld not believe this would help, but did it, and again, who knows, perhaps this is critical.

Note about step 4: I assumed that step two 'terminate and stay resident programs' turned off my McAfee firewall and antivirus, so I did not turn it off. And I elected to be off the internet during install because I am always fearful about turning off those programs. However, and this may be the source of problems for many people, the HP list was very specific to turn off the Windows 7 firewall. I checked it and it was running, even though I thought McAfee was in charge. So I did turn off the Windows 7 firewall. Subsequently I learned that many people who have upgraded from earlier Windows operating systems to Windows 7 have the Windows firewall operating along with their other firewall, without knowing it. Apparently this does not happen if you did a clean install of Windows 7 rather than an upgrade install.

Note about step 5c: On many of my tries the installation program would not terminate or complete, and I would get a partial install that allow some functions of the printer to work, but not Solutions Center. The only way I found to prevent this was at the step near the end, where you hook up the printer, select the box that says it's okay to connect it later. The installer program dumps an icon on you desktop that allows you to connect the printer after the installation shows complete and terminates by itself. By clicking the icon and plugging the cable into computer and the powered-on-printer when directed, the device installs perfectly. That was the only way I could get a full install, or get the installation to terminate.

During the two days of trying to make this work I also reinstalled the latest version of Flash player since I read that HP Solutions Center needs it to show screens on your computer about printer functions. Of course downloading Flash onto a 64-bit version of Windows 7 is a little tricky too, but not that difficult. I do not know whether that was important, but it is one more thing to try if you can't make your Solutions Center part of the printer program work.

I learned way more about the unintall/install process than I ever wanted to know. Sorry to be so wordy, but after two days of frustrating work on this I thought I should share this, in case any of these ideas could help someone else who is hung up on this. Perhaps there is an easier fix somewhere. The six-step process was on an HP help site and was not even for my specific printer, but the similar list from my model did not work. Wish I knew what the secret to success might have been.

0 Kudos
sweetcw Top Student
Top Student
2 1 0 2
Message 14 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a faster way (though not fast) that seems to work for me:

1. Go to All Programs

2. Select HP

3. Select device folder (for me "Officejet Pro 8500 A909a Series")

4. Select "Add a device"

5. Follow steps to add a new device.

What I have found is that if someone signs in as a different user I need to re-add the device on my user account. This makes me really question the amount of testing that goes into this software package. The user experience of needing to reinstall for each use is pretty  poor.

hateepa Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 15 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This worked for me; however, I had to muddle through a point here it wanted the original media. I had just done a full re-install from the site.

0 Kudos
AnnieB15 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 16 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I click on the update and check the compatibility it only shows various forms of Vista.  I am using Windows 7, 64 bit and have the same error with the Solution Center.  Is there a fix?

0 Kudos
romdos Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 17 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just went through the same thing with HP.  I cannot emphasize enough how annoying their software is and how bumbling the support people are.

1. uninstalled all HP crap from the HP uninstaller on the start menu

2. rebooted

3. went into control panel and uninstalled the HP crap that was still left

4. turned off the windows firewall and disabled virus software

5. ran the installation program i d/l from the HP site

6. hit scan and it worked

I haven't tried to print anything yet...that probably won't work now.  🙂

Hope this helps.  Thanks to Bill2010 for putting me on the right track.  I didn't know how to stop the TSRs in Win7 or clear temporary files and folders through Windows accessories..he wasn't very clear on those steps, so I omitted them and it still worked.

0 Kudos
Grad Student
Grad Student
205 201 5 25
Message 18 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i have the solution!

Go to this site: http://computerchimp.com/troubleshooting/assigning-an-hp-network-printer-a-fixed-ip-address.html

This can be caused by teh network settings set to being DHCP instead of Static IP address, causing the IP address to change.

Then, Solution Center can't connect to the printer, and then gives that error.

Solve this by:

1. Opening your browser going to the printer server (i.e 192.168.1.3)

2. Click the NETWORK tab.

3. On the left, under Connections, select Wired or Wireless.

4. In my case, it was WIRED, so i clicked that.

5. Under IPv4 Configuration, select Manual IP.

6. Under Manual IP Address: , type in the IP address you wish it should have.

7. Under Manual Subnet Mask, type in: 255.255.255.0

8. Under Manual Default Gateway, type in: 192.168.1.1

9. Click Apply. After about 30 seconds, refresh the page and go to this tab again. Make sure the settings are there, and click Apply once again to make sure.

10. Uninstall, and reinstall Solution for the last time.

11. Voila! The connection is permanent.

i have the solution!

Go to this site: http://computerchimp.com/troubleshooting/assigning-an-hp-network-printer-a-fixed-ip-address.html

This can be caused by teh network settings set to being DHCP instead of Static IP address, causing the IP address to change.

Then, Solution Center can't connect to the printer, and then gives that error.

Solve this by:

1. Opening your browser going to the printer server (i.e 192.168.1.3)

2. Click the NETWORK tab.

3. On the left, under Connections, select Wired or Wireless.

4. In my case, it was WIRED, so i clicked that.

5. Under IPv4 Configuration, select Manual IP.

6. Under Manual IP Address: , type in the IP address you wish it should have.

7. Under Manual Subnet Mask, type in: 255.255.255.0

8. Under Manual Default Gateway, type in: 192.168.1.1

9. Click Apply. After about 30 seconds, refresh the page and go to this tab again. Make sure the settings are there, and click Apply once again to make sure.

10. Uninstall, and reinstall Solution for the last time.

11. Voila! The connection is permanent.

-Ben95111

I have more HP devices than you'd expect.
1 HP TouchPad 32 GB with Android
2 HP Touchsmarts (310-1000z and IQ527)
2 HP Printers (J6480 and J5750)
1 Laptop (HP DV6253CL)

Have at least some experience in each of those devices, and i'll do my best to help you.
Kudos if I helped!
0 Kudos
ljwestphal Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 19 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Will there ever be a real solution for this problem from HP.  I have tried everything suggested and cannot count the number of times I have removed and reinstalled software for my Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless.  Nothing ever works and I cannot get the Solution Center to work like I could before I installed Windows 7 64 bit.  It has been over 2 yearS since this problem was first noted by userS and yet there is no solution.  I used to love my HP printer but not any more.  I purchased one that would do everything I needed and now it will not do that.  Please - someone come up with a REAL SOLUTION!!!  Or do I just need to buy a different non-HP printer?

0 Kudos
sgoodman01 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 20 of 219
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This solution did NOT work for me.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation