Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've been through the same process after recieving the same error code on my Pavillion DM4.  I have burned the 7 recovery DVDs but the recovery program was unbable to restorethe factory issue status and operating system - the HDD apears to be broken.  Rather than buy a new HDD and media (I don't have windows installation disk) wiht the risk there may be other problems with my laptop am minded to buy a new laptop (and salvage the 4 GB RAM).  On reviewing the contents of the recovery DVDs I can't see recognisable file names or extensions. 

If I buy a new HP laptop wil I be able to access the recovery DVDs to get back my data?

HP Recommended

@slateclimber wrote:

I've been through the same process after recieving the same error code on my Pavillion DM4.  I have burned the 7 recovery DVDs but the recovery program was unbable to restorethe factory issue status and operating system - the HDD apears to be broken.  Rather than buy a new HDD and media (I don't have windows installation disk) wiht the risk there may be other problems with my laptop am minded to buy a new laptop (and salvage the 4 GB RAM).  On reviewing the contents of the recovery DVDs I can't see recognisable file names or extensions. 

If I buy a new HP laptop wil I be able to access the recovery DVDs to get back my data?

By recovery dvd's do you mean the dvd you made to back up your files?

The HP recovery dvd's contain no personal files or information, only files needed to reinstall Windows, HP programs and drivers

HP Recommended
Thanks Mumbodog. Before recovery manager attemted to restore factory settings it asked me if I wanted to back up the data which I accepted. The computer than spent an hour apparantely copying all my files to a new partition (i recognized many of my picture files being copied) before burning to 7 DVDs. I assumed the picture files and other data would be available from the 7 DVDs. Reminder to be more diligent with back ups next time!
HP Recommended

Yes you can recover that data, on disc 1 there should be a a file called "restore.exe"  or "RecoveryMgr.exe", execute it,  a "system Recovery" folder on the C drive is created with your files and folders inside. (it may take a while to expand all the backed up files from the discs to that folder.)

HP Recommended

The correct answer is to run the discs again and select minimized system recovery. Once the recovery is finished go to HP support and do the scan for updates and software.

HP Recommended

I tried to do a recovery with the recovery discs that I made when I purchased the laptop.  on the 2nd disc I am getting the error code 0xe0ef0003.  Could the problem be with my recovery cds?  I did memory and hard drive test and both passed. 

HP Recommended

@vonrolex wrote:

I tried to do a recovery with the recovery discs that I made when I purchased the laptop.  on the 2nd disc I am getting the error code 0xe0ef0003.  Could the problem be with my recovery cds?  I did memory and hard drive test and both passed. 

Yes, sounds like the disc is corrupted.

You can order HP recovery media below, or call HP on the phone to order 1-800-474-6836

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

If HP no longer has Recovery Media for your model, order them here

http://www.computersurgeons.com/Default.aspx

HP Recommended

Two days ago, my computer was very diffcult to start. It took almost 4 hours to start. I tried to recover it. I used function key F11. When I did the "recover", it showed error code OxeOef0003.  I can not finish any of the "recover".

I need help! Please give me help to recover my computer!

HP Recommended

Two days ago, my hp laptop was very difficult to start. I tooks almost 4 hours to start. I tried to recover it. When I run Fuction key F11 to did it, it showed Error Code: 0xe0ef003.

I need help to fix it!

HP Recommended

@njproblem wrote:

Two days ago, my hp laptop was very difficult to start. I tooks almost 4 hours to start. I tried to recover it. When I run Fuction key F11 to did it, it showed Error Code: 0xe0ef003.

I need help to fix it!

Hello njproblem.  I understand that your notebook has started to boot very slowly.  Also, when attempting a recovery you got the 0xe0ef003 error.

The slow boot process as well as an error being thrown during a recovery normally points towards a hard drive issue.  Luckily HP has built in diagnostics to test this hardware.  So, if you would please run this test and post the result it will be very helpful.  This document can walk you through the process.  

It may also be useful to have your product number if you wouldn't mind posting that information.  This article can show you where the number is located.

I will keep an eye out for a reply from you with the results of the hard drive diagnostic.  I hope you have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.