cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mookbuick
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

usb device not recognized message when nothing is connected

HP Recommended

I am getting the message, "usb device not recognized" on my pavilion dv7 when nothing is pluged into any usb port, i look in side the ports and nothing is stuck in there and they look ok. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
PeaceLily
Level 10
1,206 1,194 166 598
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I read a blog post by someone who had this error, and they fixed it by shutting down their computer and unplugging the power supply, leaving it unplugged for about a minute. When they plugged it back in and turned it on the error stopped appearing.

If that doesn't work, you could also try uninstalling/reinstalling all your USB devices in Device Manager:

Go to Start, and in the search box enter "device manager".

Click Device Manager from the list of results.

Find the category for Universal Serial Bus controllers and double-click to expand the list.

Right-click each item in the list and select Uninstall.

When you're done uninstalling USB devices, click Action, and click Scan for hardware changes.

I hope this helps!

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
0 Kudos
mookbuick
Author
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Sorry for taking so long been a little busy. I just tried the suggestions you offered but neither one of them worked. When i go into device manager it has one device under usb listed as "Unknown Device" with the little yellow triangle next to it. i try to uninstll it and a few seconds later the manager goes online and trys to download the software for it but halfway through fails. Thanks for the info though. Anything else anybody can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation