cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
dannycr7
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 17
Flag Post

windows 10 start menu not working

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my windows 10 start menu is not coming up when i click it.

what is causing it and what can be done to fix it?

16 REPLIES 16
Futureperfect
Level 7
Level 7
379 378 44 175
Message 2 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have heard of this issue and can affect Windows 10 users in general.

Below are a few links about this issue and resolutions avaialble:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/start-menu-does-not-open-windows-10

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-fix-start-menu-in-windows-10-3623893/

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-here-are-fo...

http://www.bidnessetc.com/49429-microsoft-windows-10-start-menu-cortana-taskbar-not-working-heres-fi...

Hope this helps!

I am an HP employee.
Make it easier for others to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
davidstone
Level 3
45 41 1 5
Message 3 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@dannycr7 wrote:

my windows 10 start menu is not coming up when i click it.

what is causing it and what can be done to fix it?

Sadly, nothing. I've tried at least 5 different 'fixes' but none worked.  Microsoft is aware of the problem.  Be careful, there is a fix offered on the TEN' forum that is a .bat file that caused me to have to do a system restore. Easiest work around for me was creating a second signon id.

Old guy.
0 Kudos
donnyandmarie
3 3 0 1
Message 4 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The problem seems to be a conflict with Norton. When the security software is loaded, the startup button won't work and visa-versa.

0 Kudos
davidstone
Level 3
45 41 1 5
Message 5 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have reinstalled Norton and my Start is still working.  I know HP likes to push Mac Afee, but I won't go that route.  I saw in the Microsoft forum, one of the people thinks it has to do with the processors. His theory is that Intel based machines have the problem, but AMD machines are doing ok.  I've got mor problems with lost email from my System Restore, then anything else.  I have installed 6 different email clients and finally got one to work.  Good luck everybody.

Old guy.
0 Kudos
donnyandmarie
3 3 0 1
Message 6 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think we're going into our third restore. Either Norton works or start, but not both at the same time. Wish us luck. If it doesn't work this time, it'll be Norton and no start button.

0 Kudos
davidstone
Level 3
45 41 1 5
Message 7 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I know I lived without Start for a few days.  I am sure it's a Microsoft issue, and they are aware of it. We would think they have the expertise to get a fix out soon.   Good Luck !

Old guy.
0 Kudos
Norton_Support
Level 6
509 507 27 59
Message 8 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi donnyandmarie,

Is the start button working if Norton is uninstalled?

Thanks

Anirban

0 Kudos
donnyandmarie
3 3 0 1
Message 9 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No. In fact it turns out we haven't been able to solve the problem after all. When we uninstalled Norton, the start menu did work. But, when we reinstalled it, it didn't work. With a choice between using start and having anti-virus, we chose to have Norton working.

davidstone
Level 3
45 41 1 5
Message 10 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@donnyandmarie wrote:

No. In fact it turns out we haven't been able to solve the problem after all. When we uninstalled Norton, the start menu did work. But, when we reinstalled it, it didn't work. With a choice between using start and having anti-virus, we chose to have Norton working.

I agree Norton didn't affect mine either way.  Creating a second user with or without Admin capabilities does work. Just an FYI, I didn't realize that all software has to be installed for the second user. A real pain.  Now I have 4 users on this laptop, and only one me.

Old guy.
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation