cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

windows 10 upgrade BSOD 0xC1900101-0x40017

HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-n008TX
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have tried and failed to upgrade my sons laptop PC to Window 10 several times now, always with the same result...

Right near the end (I think...) following the completion of "Installing Features and Drivers", the PC reboots, then eventually gets a BSOD reporting a problem due to a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.

Then I get rolled back to previous OS (Windows 8.1), then finally when I boot back into 8.1 the Windows 10 installer brings up an error screen with the following information:

0xC1900101-0x40017

The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation.

An image at http://i.imgur.com/g87eqxS.jpg looks identical to what I'm seeing.

I have tried everything I can think of and/or have found reported in various forum posts. My most recent attempts were after doing a "System Refresh"...which turned out to be a bad idea, more or less like reinstalling Windows 8 (yes, it rolled me back to 8 from 8.1) but kept my sons data files (but none of his programs installed).

In any case, trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from that state had exactly the same result. I've tried this a couple of times - first right after doing the "System Refresh" so with a clean Win 8 install, then again after applying every possible Windows Update and HP Support Assistant recommended Update available (without actually downloading and upgrading again to Windows 8.1).

I also upgraded the BIOS to the latest available version listed on HP website. No difference again.

The only real clue I have found is when I look in Device Manager, there is always one troublesome driver showing an exclamation mark. No amount of disabling/deleting/updating to latest etc makes any difference to this one - Intel Management Engine Interface. The big clue here, I think, is that it reports it cannot start due to DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE, which you may notice is the same error reported in the BSOD message during Windows 10 upgrade.

My theory is that the Win 10 upgrade is perhaps more fussy about having that driver start up successfully, and crashes if it wont do so?

Or perhaps its just a red herring, and nothing to do with the root cause.

Anyone else with this problem? Better still - anyone with a solution???

Thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 4
130 128 6 11
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE   is related to ACPI issues with drivers, which there have been some fixes released for these issues, are you using windows updates to upgrade? (to download the latest version of windows 10)

Intel Management Engine Interface has some drivers available here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=intel+management+engine

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks koolholio,

Yes, I've used windows update to upgrade initially, but eventually got tired of waiting for the extra download step, so have since downloaded the Win 10 installer onto a USB drive and have been using that method instead for the last few attempts. Both methods fail in the same way.

I had looked on the Intel website, and just checked it again. It looks like the IMEI drivers there (that are relevant to my laptop - ie not for an NUC) are the same version I already have installed - 9.5.15.1730, as shown in Device Manager. I've also tried asking for a newer version from Device Manager, and it just tells me the version installed is the most recent available, which seems to correlate with Intel's website also.

Also I thought perhaps there might be some useful info in a crash dump, but I dont see any such files from the time of the BSOD - perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place, but I'm thinking the rollback to previous version on failed upgrade might also be removing any crash dump files also?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
130 128 6 11
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the insider preview has error logging enabled which doesnt help much and wont go into driver diagnostics but setupact.log and setuperror.log are easily found

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744583%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

windows setup has an SQM function built in these days, so i presume the debug data and crash dumps would be sent off to Microsoft in the same way windows error reporting would if a running version was to blue screen...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
130 128 6 11
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have this funny feeling your blue screen memory dumps will probably relate to the graphics card drivers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the link koolholio.

I spent a while looking through the various log files in the locations mentioned in that article, but couldn't see anything that was obviously related to the BSOD error.

I'm a bit stuck with how to proceed. Any idea of what to search for?

Regarding graphics drivers - I have the most recent available for both AMD and Intel graphics (how HP ever thought these two would peacefully coexist is beyond me, but device manager certainly isn't making any complaints about them). I'm not at home right now, so can't find version numbers for these, but I am certain they are the most recent available in both cases - at least according to both Windows update and HP support website for my PC model.

So you may well be right about a graphics driver being the culprit, but I don't know what else to do to try and test that theory.

Has anyone else out there actually had this same BSOD issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
130 128 6 11
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I myself have had a blue screen related to the graphics driver during boot of the setup, and mines only just got an Intel chipset! I've also had a look around lots of forums and it's quite commonplace for blue screening until Microsoft fix their buggy code it seems a bit hit and miss for Windows 10 right now
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation