Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 3 0 1
Message 21 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

wireless connections keep on dropping.

I do not have an aftermarket wireless card. My laptop came with WiFi. It drops in the middle of Internet sessions. I hate when I've spent an hour on a blog and I lose it! Usually, if I reboot enough times, I will eventually be able to get back online, but it seems to require rebooting and sometimes doing so repeatedly. I'd love to see HP respond to the issue!
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 2
Message 22 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Again Everyone!

I have good news!  The process that Piper described seems to have fixed my issues!  I have used the wireless connection several times now, and it seems much more stable.   It has not dropped out at all.  So, kudos to Piper in HP Tech Support!

There does seem to be one side effect, that may or may not be related.  The wireless network icon has disappeared from the lower right hand corner.   Minor, but annoying.

Hope that helps! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
15 8 0 0
Message 23 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

With my HP Pavilion dv6-1030us -- I tried updating the driver, and the message I received was that my driver is up-to-date. <sigh>

Judy Madnick
Jacksonville, FL
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 24 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

have the same problem with my hdx 18, it was working fine now it doesn't connect at all. tried everything with tech support. I will never buy an HP again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 25 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I agree with you. The laptop is useless without wireless. I bought a dv7 about 3 weeks ago and have had problems with wireless from day 1.  It's always on and off. Never consistent. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it will connect then drop. Other times it will show as "Connected" with a Fair signal but can't connect to the internet. I called Costco tech support (which is where I bought the laptop). They told me to update the firmware for my Linksys router. I did that but it didn't work. I tried changing the wireless channels several times...no better. Also, moved the location of the router...no change. I also contacted HP a few times and talked to different support techs. I ran all of the updates for the network adapter and BIOS for Windows 7 as instructed.  The thing is that wireless is fine when I'm close to the router. If I'm sitting in my living room which is about 15 feet away, I have problems. I have 3 other laptops, even a Dell mini on Windows 7 and none of the others are having this problem.

A desktop technician at my work said the wireless antenna on this HP may be bad. I called HP again and asked if they think this could be the problem. After I went through the list of everything I did, they told me that it sounds like a faulty antenna and that I should contact Costco to have it fixed. I've been searching for other alternatives but I really think that I'll just have to return this model and get something else that works right out of the box.  Don't think this will help you at all but just wanted to share...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 1
Message 26 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It may be that teh Linksys is your challenge. It was for me. We got a new WiFi Router and I have had no problems since.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 27 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have had internet connection problems with my dv5-1010us since I bought it and hp support has not been helpful AT ALL!  I never worried about it too much because we have 2 other laptops and a desktop that worked fine, but now it is necessary for me to use my laptop and the connection keeps dropping.  If anyone has a solution to this problem, please help!

Thanks in advance.   By the way, HP support has not been of any help at all.  Is it just me?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 28 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re MRetkows post:

Thank you so much for this fix.  I was at wit's end with my wireless constantly dropping--did I need a new modem, a new wireless card, maybe give up and get a 100 foot ethernet cord.  I'd heard about updating drivers but couldn't figure out how to do it--your advice was so clear.  Sure enough, 2 of the 3 things under network adapters needed updating. After a few clicks,  my wireless works better than it ever has. It had gotten so bad it couldn't connect at all sometimes. Best of all, it was free.

My computer is a 2005 model dv4170us using XP.  The sequence for me to get at the device mgr was a little different:  click start, then right click my computer, then click properties, click hardware tab, then choose device mgr, then open network adapters, right click the things in the list and choose update driver.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 29 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just got off the phone with HP tech support and my connectivity problem seems to be resolved. It was an easy fix. I found this post/forum after 2 weeks of my problem getting worse and worse, to the point where I lost connectivity altogether.

I have a Compaq Presario CQ60-212US laptop with Vista Home Premium 64-bit and SP2 (which I upgraded to.) In Device Manager, I had 3 entries under Network Adapters. Atheros wireless, NVIDIO and something else. That "something else" turned out to be a plug-in that Microsoft installed when I did a recent Microsoft update. After tech support had me plug my modem cable directly into my laptop, to confirm that I could indeed connect to the internet (which I could), he had me remove the modem cable, uninstall the odd adapter Microsoft had installed (by right clicking on it and choosing uninstall), and reboot. Problem solved. My laptop immediately recognized the wireless network and I was able to pull up a browser and connect to the internet. He said the adapter Microsoft installed was a plug-in and was causing a conflict. I knew it wasn't working, because it had a yellow caution triangle on it in the device manager, but I assumed it was a necessary component of the wireless network and required replacing. I was assuming I'd be without my laptop for a couple of weeks while the adapter was replaced (I'm still under warranty.)

Hope this helps someone else!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 30 of 42
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have stumbled on this thread as being the most germane o the problem I am experiencing. First, the backgound:

HP Mimi 1033CL running XP Home SP3.
Home network is via a Linksys router with Open/WEP encryption
Device Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

My symptoms are as every one else's and characterized by the following events/steps:

(1) Go to Available Network and connect to Linksys network
(2) This denotes that it is WPA
(3) Connects but displays "acquiring network address" message
(4) Proceed to Network Connections, select "Wireless Network Connection"
(5) Select properties of Linksys network
(6) Select Open/WEP and enter 10-char password
(7) It will then accept that and after an interval of 5~10 seconds an "Internet Gateway/Internet Connections" object will appear in the Network Connections dialog.
(8) After about 5-10 more seconds both the Internet Gateway object and the Wireless Network Connection will have their status change to "connected"

..then after about 2-3 minutes (using the internet or just letting the computer idle) the Internet Gateway/Internet Connections" object will disappear and the Wireless Network Connection status will revert to "Not Connected"

Rinse and repeat for the same frustration.

I have gone to the HP site and installed the latest Broadcom drivers to no avail.

All help gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation