Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8025e All-in-One Printer

Hi, I've just reviewed a bunch of Messages on the Board, with numerous people all complaining about the same thing:

The (flimsy) plastic pieces on the paper tray only "lock" into place for 8 1/2 X 14 paper, but NOT for 8 1/2 X 11.  Because of this, when you use 8 1/2 X 11 paper, it ends up not feeding, or multiple sheets go through, etc.

Unfortunately, I can't Reply or add to any of the messages because they all have an entry on the top which says something like: "There haven't been any recent replies, just start a new question if you still have a problem" (Gee, that's a great idea, just start fresh with yet another Post, so that all the info/history from the previous Users and the HP Agents is lost).

Now the reason people stop replying is because the answers from the Agents are fairly useless and have nothing to do with the problem presented.

For example, one person posted the clearest possible description of everybody's exact problem.  They said: "I know you are supposed to hit the little grey button that is under the paper to change the size but it doesn't lock for 8.5 x 11. any suggestions. right now it grabs multiple pages and jams."

The HP Agent responds: "Hi I'd like to help!  I understand that the printer picks multiple pages and  jams.  Try the below suggestions"  and then there's a list of completely irrelevant instructions, like how to reset the Printer or change paper size in the software, etc.

Some of the User responses are that it's as though the Agents are merely parroting from the Manual rather than trying to research and resolve the problem.  (Makes you wonder if there's actually a human responding, or is it some kind of "Bot" looking for keywords).

Anyway, the User (no doubt frustrated) responds: "This didn't help at all. Its the actual paper that doesn't fit. There is only a way to lock the tray to 8.5 X 14 and not 8.5 x 11. I folded a business card right now inside the tray to hold the paper in place so it only grabs one sheet and doesn't move. Any suggestions?"

After a bit more discussion, the Agent says something like: "Sounds like this is an Equipment issue" and gives instructions for contacting Repair, and seeing if your printer is in warranty, etc.  (But the problem described is something PHYSICAL with the construction of the tray from DAY ONE.  That doesn't change with the use of the printer over time...).

Do the HP Agents actually ever USE the Printers they're trying to support, because if HP would provide them with the various models, they would comprehend in two seconds what all the Users are complaining about, and give responses that aren't totally ridiculous and non-responsive.

Anyway, since MANY MANY Users have reported this same issue/confusion, has there been any solution or explanation of how you're supposed to set the paper tray for 8 1/2 X 11 paper?

Thanks so much

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I have not used one but had a look at the user guide because I was curious. The manual appears to show that when you load the paper you close the drawer all the way. Are you finding that the tray opens up again or does not stay in place. Looking to understand what the issue is and if I can garner any insight. A picture would be useful in a situation like this.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue.  The green tab does not stay in place at the 8 1/2 x 11 marker.  As a result of this, paper is not picked up by the rollers.  Additionally, the printer will ask you to load in 8 1/2 x 11 paper.  Very frustrating!IMG_0074.jpg

HP Recommended

If you only use letter size, just fix the backstop in place. We do this often for clients that have broken trays through abuse and they do not want to purchase a new tray.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for checking manual.  Unfortunately, it doesn't provide enough detail, nor show the markings/features on the tray.  I do appreciate that  you took an interest in the problem and are trying to help, but it's difficult since you've never used it, which is why I mentioned in my Post that the HP Agents should have access to the various models so they can experience first hand what the Posters are dealing with.

I had intended to take pictures, as you suggested, but would have had to take 4 or 5 to show  both the front and back of the tray, and to show it with and without paper so you could see the various settings for the releases/buttons, and how the design makes absolutely no sense.

I can still try to do that, but I saw that the next Poster provided a picture, which hopefully was helpful.

Finally, as far as your comments/questions, I DO close the drawer all the way, and the tray DOESN'T open up or fail to stay in place.   The problem is that without anything to keep the paper in position, it can move, which causes the lack of feeding or jamming problems that everybody's complaining about.

Imagine a suitcase handle designed with three positions: Closed; Halfway extended; and Fully extended.

When you press the release or "button" and fully extend it (think of that as 8 1/2 X 14), the handle locks in place.

But if there isn't any kind of lock when halfway extended (think of that as 8 1/2 X 11), then it really would only have TWO functioning positions (completely extended and completely closed).

If a shorter person tried to use it halfway extended but there was no mechanism for it to "click" into place and restrict any movement, it would extend fully the minute they grabbed the handle.

Wouldn't you go back to the suitcase manufacturer and say: "Don't you see a problem with this design?"

That's my feeling about this HP paper tray.  (Hope it makes more sense now).

HP Recommended

Sorry, because it showed I was replying to your (Repairatrooper's) first post on 6/20, I thought it would show up there, but it stuck my reply at the very end.  Anyway, I'm now (trying to) respond to your 6/21 Post (which will probably show up right after my Post a minute ago, making it look like I'm replying "to myself").

Anyway, how exactly would you "fix the backstop" in place?  By wedging something in between the backstop and the stack of paper?

More importantly, you said you need to that when somebody's tray is broken or abused.  Mine is brand new and in perfect condition.  Why should I have to do a fix like that?

Unless I (and all the other Posters) are misunderstanding the instructions or doing something wrong, the problem is caused by a serious design flaw (like the example I gave of suitcase handle, or any kind of tool or device that expands to different sizes and doesn't have a mechanism to secure the position that's selected).

So I'm hoping that HP has an explanation or solution for this.  It would also be wonderful if their "Community" forum had some kind of numbering or identification systems for the Posts, so that I could cross reference the other ones I found, with numerous people complaining about the same problem.

HP Recommended

Concur - what would I use to "fix the backstop?"  Also agree that this is a design flaw.  It worked fine for about a year, but my printer is not usable because I can't get paper to properly load.

HP Recommended

there is flaw in the design of the tray as you are not able to adjust the backstop to fit a 8 1/2 x 11 paper.  I hate to do this.. BUT I may have to take someone's suggestion of placing something in front of the backstop to keep 8 1/2 x 11 paper in place.  As the it is picking up multiple pages at once and jamming.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.