Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 All-in-One Printer
macOS 12.0 Monterey

Hello,

I have tried to print on 110-pound card stock, which my owner manual specs say this model can handle, but the printer keeps cutting off the top of the image! It doesn't seem to be able to feed the card stock through, either.

I made sure that the HP Smart printer software was set to "plain paper, heavy," which closest to cardstock I can find. What's really odd is that on the printer itself there is no "paper setup" icon where the paper type can be selected.

I tested 65 pound, and it printed the image fine. What can be done to have the printer handle heavier-weight paper? And why doesn't this model of printer have an onboard setting for paper types/weights?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Max recommended for that printer model plain paper is 105 gsm

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

@CraneWing 

Apologies for jumping in unannounced.

HP print settings guide (Windows, Mac)

Section:  Change Mac print settings

Unfortunately, I cannot actually check what is available in your paper type setup -- no MacOS in the office -- the example in the document shows where the Media & Quality setting is located but only the "plain paper" is displayed in the sample image.

?

====================================================================

@Valsimotis right - when it comes to defining the paper types, the printer does like less "weighty" papers better.  The solution is indeed to use the paper that works.

What if?

If the Media & Quality setting in your print dialog for paper type includes it,

Select Brochure (matte) or Professional paper.

Why? 

Brochure paper is typically 180 gsm --

Brochure paper setting is not quite the 200 gsm that the printer can handle, but at least it's close and there is a defined paper type for it.

The HP Card paper (referred in the specs) typically refers to Index paper to 110 lb / 200 gsm.

200 is on the upper end of the weight limitation.

Personal Observations: 

Make sure the printer is very clean so the paper can more easily travel through the printer.   

I have an OfficeJet Pro 9025 -- it will print on most anything I put in the printer -- but the printer must be squeaky clean to manage the heavier papers.

References / Resources

Product Specifications for the HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 All-in-One Printer (1KR42A)

Paper Handling (Partial Excerpt)

Media types
Plain Paper, HP Photo Papers, HP Matte Brochure or Professional Paper, HP Matte Presentation Paper, HP Glossy Brochure or Professional Paper, Other Photo Inkjet Papers, Other Matte Inkjet Papers, Other Glossy Inkjet Papers, Thick Plain Paper, Light/Recycled Plain Paper, HP Tri-fold Brochure Paper, Glossy
Media weight supported (metric)
60 to 105 g/m² (plain); 220 to 280 g/m² (photo); 75 to 90 g/m² (envelope); 163 to 200 g/m² (card)
Media weight supported (U.S. standard)
16 to 28 lb (plain paper); 60 to 75 lb (photo); 20 to 24 lb (envelope); 90 to 110 lb (card)
Borderless printing
Yes, on photo and brochure paper only, up to 8.5 x 11 in (US letter), 210 x 297 mm (A4)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

This is a screenshot of the pulldown for paper types in my printer in HP Smart for Mac.

paper-types.png

HP Recommended

This is theprinter paper options through printer options. I am also going to test printing on 80-pound stock to see if it can handle that.printer-options-2.png

HP Recommended

@CraneWing 

Thanks for the information -- makes sense now even though I cannot tell you why.

The images do not show the entire list of paper sizes or paper types (that) this printer supports.

Based on the "way I think it works", that would indicate (that) you do not have the full driver software loaded.

I do not find a full driver set when I search Software and Drivers for your OS version.

HP Smart is listed, of course, and you have installed that.

So -- the question is:

Is there a full driver software for Mac OS 12?

If not, what is wrong with HP Smart that it is not providing access to the extensive list of paper supported by this printer series?

=========================================================================

Calling for an Assist

@ShlomiL 

If you can do so, please take a look at this.

I am out of depth with MacOS -- and it appears the full driver software is no longer available for this printer.

HP Smart is available -- and is perhaps not providing access to the full range of printer features ??

The images posted by @CraneWing appear to show (first) the EWS as pulled from HP Smart (a guess), and next - the printer menu (equivalent to Properties) as viewed in Adobe Reader (equivalent in Mac OS).

Both instances show a severely truncated paper size and type list.

Rats.  What am I missing?

Thank you!

=====================================================================

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.