Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Photo 7830
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

The automatic document feeder on my printer has stopped working. Previously, when I inserted single or multiple A4 sheets to copy or scan, the sheet feeder detected the presence of sheets (seemed to grab them) but now nothing happens. I have read about cleaning rollers which is tricky but can see no sign of a problem. If I look in the feeder opening I can see the grey roller which is positioned fully downwards and prevents paper easily pushing past it - should it be upwards? - I can push it up with my finger but it doesn't stay there. I can see no sign of any damage so can anyone suggest what might be wrong?

The printer prints and scans/copies from the flat plate correctly.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Zed

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Zed1942, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

This seems like an issue with the Automatic document feeder. Make sure you have tried the steps mentioned in this document - ADF does not pick paper or feeds in too many sheets

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your MAC.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

If the issue persists, I'm afraid this is a hardware failure. Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options for your printer. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar, thank you for your response.

HP Smart tells me my firmware and software are up to date. However, I tried downloading the update file and it found my printer 'HP Envy Photo 7800 series [F6016B]' but the HP Firmware Updater just said 'This firmware Updater does not contain any upgrades for your device' which is not terribly helpful. HP Smart says my firmware version is PALSUPPPXN003.2105A.00 and my serial number is TH7CK4W17J.

I tried cleaning everything suggested and restarted but to no avail - if I put a sheet in the ADF it just does not recognise that it exists.

With regard to reaching out to HP support - I tried that and it would appear that no support is available for an end user like myself  and the best suggestion was to buy a new printer which is particularly annoying when I can find no evidence that anything is broken and everything else except the ADF is working fine. Your authorised service centres only cover A3 printers, Commercial Laserjet or Samsung

Do you have any further suggestions

Zed1942

HP Recommended

@Zed1942

I understand your concern. It could be a sensor that has gone bad. If the printer is out of warranty, I suggest you upgrade the printer. You may visit Hp Store to check the available printers.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.