Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Having constant problem with printing.  Printer says paper jam error when printing from laptop or other devices, but paper bin is full. Have completed full diagnostics and followed youtube video guide to maintain and clean printer to clear any paper jams.  Printer will however copy and print and will also print internal test page.  So it can print; just not when asked to do so from external device.  Have uninstalled and reinstalled software and all updates. Any hints how to fix this problem? Is it a software/ firmware glitch with windows 10?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MJBOZ, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@MJBOZ, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for suggestion.  Add Device in Control Panel - Printers and Scanners resulted in message "HP67B425 (HP ENVY 5540 series) - Driver is unavailable". Having spent majority of yesterday with HP "WhatsApp" tech team  without success in solving my problem, can anyone answer whether a driver for my 4yr old printer is actually available for Windows 10 (incl latest update)?

HP Recommended

May have posted too early.  Went back to Control Panel, selected "I can't find my printer" and it identified "HP ENVY 5540 Series" as alternative.  Loaded this driver. Went thru Print & Scan Doctor 5.4.1 and installed software for HP Envy 5540 Series.  Should also mention HP tech support yesterday had me check latest PC software update (HP Notebook System BIOS Update was installed).  Restarted both the PC and Printer and now seems to be printing OK.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.