Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet 5SI MS

I have a Laserjet 5SI MS that still gives excellent service - but, recently, I have been unable to fully close Drawer 2.

There are no obvious obstructions or anything obviously wrong - does anyone have any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Not sure if the tray 2 and 3 are interchangeable (been years since I worked on one of these), but the backs should be the same and you can compare them to see there are any broken guides or interlocks. Also check to make sure that none of the flags near the pickup rollers have broken as they can hang down and block tray movement.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your posting - and my apologies for the delay in replying - the notification of your response got caught in my spam filter!

I have checked the items you mentioned but believe I have found the cause of the problem: at the back of the printer where the backs of trays 2 and 3 arrive, there is a black plastic structure with two small holes into which a spigot on the back of each tray enters. Above each of these holes, there is a protruding tab which locks over the spigot and holds it in place, This is normally released when the user operates the release handle on the tray and the spigot lowers, freeing it from the tab.

Above the hole for the spigot on tray 2, this plastic protrusion has broken off - so, although the tray can be inserted to its fullest extent, there is no longer anything there for the spigot to catch on to secure it.

I have the service manual for this printer and have been trying to ideintify the broken part - but I'm not quite sure yet which it is. It may be a part of the cover for a motor assembly or some such.

It may be that I will have to partially dismantle the printer - taking the back cover off, at least, in order to find out which part it is, to then see if I can find a replacement.

In tne meantime, tray 3 is working well, so I am printing from that.

This has been a pretty good printer and I can stil get cartridges for it, albeit compatibles rather than originals, so I would like to keep it working, if I can.

HP Recommended

Just an update on this problem.

I decided to investigate further and removed the back cover, high voltage power supply, main motor, toner cartridge and transfer roller.

At that stage, and referring to the service manual (see pps 347 forward for part numbers and exploded diagrams), I still couldn't identify the part that included the broken black plastic structure that was givng the problem.

I have now more or less come to the conclusion that this is because it is part of the chassis and doesn't have a part number - and without a part number, I won't be able to find a replacement.

So, it looks as if this particular problem comes into the category of unreparable, unless anyone has any better ideas.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.