Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 11

My letter tray prints are randomly skewed on my OfficeJet Pro 7740, any ideas how to fix this?  I have checked that the paper guides are secure and lined up correctly, yet the prints are skewed by quite a bit when they come out of the printer.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@CurlyKarenSue, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

I understand the print quality is not good. To assist you better,

• Which application are you trying to print from?
  • Have you tried printing different types of documents like PDF, Word, or Webpages and check if the issue persists?
  • Try making a standalone copy from the flatbed glass and check if that prints fine. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Align the printhead

Aligning the printhead can resolve errors with Test Pattern 1.

1. On the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Setup icon .

2. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Printer Maintenance.

3. Touch Align Printhead, and then touch Continue.

An alignment page prints.

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I appreciate your suggestion.  I had already tried that.  The prints are coming out skewed on all programs, i.e. Excel, Word, emails and scans. I am pretty certain it is a hardware issue, rather than a program issue.

HP Recommended

@CurlyKarenSue

Have you tried making a copy and check if the issue persists? 

Also, print the self-test page from the printer itself.

Go to Setup > Tools > Print reports

Check if the reports are also skewed.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried your suggestions and they come out straight sometimes, but if there is more than one page to print, you can count on them progressively getting worse.  I may get a straight print, then a skewed slightly, then skewed much more, then one even worse, followed by a perfectly squared up, properly aligned printout.  It doesn't happen with the 11 x 17 paper, just the letter paper.

HP Recommended

@CurlyKarenSue

I'm afraid it could be a hardware issue. Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options for your printer. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.