Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4520 All-in-One Printer

My issue is the same that Don996 posted 07-11-2023 08:11 PM.  I carefully followed the instructions laid out by HP Support Agent, Gaya1239 with no success.

The printer stops immediately upon drawing a sheet of paper in and the screen displays the jam message.  I've noticed that if I press OK on the screen, the sheet flows through, is ejected and the printer returns to idle.  So there is no jam.

Firmware and drivers are up to date.  Please help me resolve the issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Michael490,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like the issue might be related to the settings or configuration on the computer that's experiencing the problem.

Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the issue.

• Check Paper Settings: Make sure that the paper size and type settings on the computer are matching the settings on the printer. Sometimes, a mismatch in settings can trigger a false jam alert.
  • Reset Printer: Try resetting the printer to its default settings. This can often resolve minor software glitches that may be causing the issue. You can usually find the option to reset the printer in the settings menu on the printer itself.
  • Reinstall Printer Driver: Even though you mentioned that the drivers are up to date, it might be worth uninstalling the printer driver from the problematic computer and reinstalling it from scratch. Sometimes, corrupted driver files can cause strange behavior.
  • Check Paper Path: Inspect the paper path of the printer for any obstructions or debris that might be causing the paper jam message. Even a small piece of paper stuck in the printer can trigger a false jam alert.
  • Test with Different Software: Try printing from a different software application on the problematic computer to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem is specific to one program or if it's a more general issue with the computer.
  • Update Computer Operating System: Ensure that the operating system on the problematic computer is up to date. Sometimes, outdated operating systems can cause compatibility issues with printer drivers.
  • Check for Background Programs: Sometimes, background programs or services running on the computer can interfere with the printing process. Try temporarily disabling any antivirus software or other background programs and see if the issue persists.

By going through these steps, you should hopefully be able to identify and resolve the issue causing the false paper jam alert on the problematic computer.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Michael490,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like the issue might be related to the settings or configuration on the computer that's experiencing the problem.

Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the issue.

• Check Paper Settings: Make sure that the paper size and type settings on the computer are matching the settings on the printer. Sometimes, a mismatch in settings can trigger a false jam alert.
  • Reset Printer: Try resetting the printer to its default settings. This can often resolve minor software glitches that may be causing the issue. You can usually find the option to reset the printer in the settings menu on the printer itself.
  • Reinstall Printer Driver: Even though you mentioned that the drivers are up to date, it might be worth uninstalling the printer driver from the problematic computer and reinstalling it from scratch. Sometimes, corrupted driver files can cause strange behavior.
  • Check Paper Path: Inspect the paper path of the printer for any obstructions or debris that might be causing the paper jam message. Even a small piece of paper stuck in the printer can trigger a false jam alert.
  • Test with Different Software: Try printing from a different software application on the problematic computer to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem is specific to one program or if it's a more general issue with the computer.
  • Update Computer Operating System: Ensure that the operating system on the problematic computer is up to date. Sometimes, outdated operating systems can cause compatibility issues with printer drivers.
  • Check for Background Programs: Sometimes, background programs or services running on the computer can interfere with the printing process. Try temporarily disabling any antivirus software or other background programs and see if the issue persists.

By going through these steps, you should hopefully be able to identify and resolve the issue causing the false paper jam alert on the problematic computer.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you Alden for your quick and thorough suggestions.  The printer driver was indeed up to date.  However when I was confirming that, I suddenly noticed something that I've missed throughout my 3 weeks of troubleshooting.  Right there in front of me listed as the driver was "Microsoft IPP Class Driver" instead of  "HP ENVY 4520 series".  I can only think it happened during some Microsoft background update... Messy people.

I hope this helps others experiencing this frustration.  At least it's something else to check when troubleshooting.

Thanks again!

4520Driver.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.