cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
Joel57
Level 1
5 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Printer will not connect with wireless nor USB

HP Recommended
OfficeJet 3830 All-In-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After reinstalling Windows 10, and applying all updates, my printer will not connect to the laptop, either wirelessly or with USB.

I've Googled and tried a number of solutions (short of another reinstall or highly technical ideas), but nothing has worked.

Before the reinstall, the same printer worked perfectly in this laptop. But now, it simply won't connect.  I've been trying for almost 6 hours now.

Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
ShlomiL
Level 17
Level 17
31,428 31,139 5,368 12,505
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,
Please follow the steps below and let me know if that may help:

**Be aware that if you have other printers installed on your PC, those will need to be reinstalled too once completing these steps.

1. Uninstall the HP Software from your PC.
2. Backup your registry prior making any registry changes:
     https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03485724
3. Update your registry using the Reg file below (that will change some printer related policies for your PC):
     https://www.dropbox.com/s/avbv56zdgwv7600/kernel.reg?dl=1
4. Right click the Start menu and select Run.
     Type Services.msc and press OK.
     Locate and stop the Print Spooler service
5. Browse to c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers.
     Rename W32X86 to W32x86.old
     Rename x64 to x64.old
     Note: if any of these folders fail to delete reboot your PC and then Continue following the steps starting from Step 4...
6. Restart your computer.
7. Reinstall the HP Software and check for any difference

If you experience any further issue please clarify what behavior you experience or what error is shown oncew pressing Details on the installation failure dialog.

Please let me know the results,
Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
Joel57
Author
Level 1
5 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for this information. It sounds like it could work.  However, I did manage to find a troubleshooter in Windows that walked me through steps to make my printer work, so for now I'm good.  I don't have the tools that a normal installation provides, but for now I will go with it.

I will bookmark this page for the future when I try to do a proper install.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation