Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

1.  Do you see "No Strings in RO" displayed on the front panel of the printer?

YES. IT APPEARS TWICE ON THE DISPLAY PANEL FOR ABOUT 5 SECONDS. THEN PANEL GOES BLANK FOR 5 SECONDS. REPEAT. 

2.  Can you make a copy on the printer?

NO, ALL FUNCTIONALITY DISABLED. 

3.  What is the operating system of the computer you are using (ex. Windows 7 64 bit, Windows Vista 32-bit, Mac OS X, etc)?

WINDOWS 8, 64

4.  How is the printer connected to the computer (USB, wireless, or Ethernet)?

WIRELESS

5. Have you done a hard reset (unplugging the power cord while the printer is powered on)?

YES. PROBLEM REMAINS. 

HP Recommended

When I connect the USB cable, Windows 8 (64) goes into a cyle of recognising the printer for 5 seconds, then disconnecting from the printer for another 5 seconds. I am therefore unable to hold a steady connection to the printer to effect any updates via the USB cable. 

HP Recommended

Since this appears to be a problem on the printer itself, I want to send you instructions for a reset.  This will return the printer to a like-new condition, meaning it will erase all information stored on it like fax numbers and you will have to set it back up on the wireless network like you did when you first purchased it.  Here is a link about Printer Resets: What You Should Know (while I work on your message) that may give you some insight as to what you are about to do to your printer. I am sending you steps for a LaserJet M1212nf.  I really hope this helps!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

Hi there!

We have the same issue here. Display shows "No strings in RO" and two lights are blinking. We tried to install the Firmware via Mac OSX / Snow Lion and Windows 7 (both connected via USB, did the Power Reset etc.) but our computers can't connect to the printer and so a firmware update is not possible. 

What can we do?

Best,

Lukas

HP Recommended

Hi Lukas-C!

Sorry to hear you're having this problem too. In message 9, I ask some questions.  You answered #1 and #3 from that post but I still have a few more questions. Answer these for me please and I will determine the best step to take frorm here.

If you would like assistance with the error message, answer a few questions for me please so I can better assist you:
1. What model of printer do you have?
2. Can you make a copy on the printer?
3. Do you remember any significant event that caused this?
4. How is the printer connected to the computer (USB, wireless, or Ethernet)? **Correction: Are all of your computers connected to this printer USB only?
5. Have you done a hard reset (unplugging the power cord while the printer is powered on)?

Also, I would like to let you know, a firmware will not update when the printer is in an errored state, so no worries.  If I can help you get it fixed (the No Strings error message), then I will help you update the firmware.  

HP Recommended

I tried the steps described in the email message but nothing happend.  The message still displays as before and two leds keep on blinking.  I can not make a copy either as the copy button press has no affect.

HP Recommended

@tamjed - this error does seem to be associated with a firmware update.  However, the update available for this unit was released around March of 2013 regarding ePrint.  Now that you have done the reset, try the firmware update now by going to www.hp.com/support and type in the printers name under Software and Drivers, select your operating system and proceed with the download for the firmware while connected with a USB cable.  Here is a direct link to Windows 7 firmware version: 20130211.  Let me know if the firmware will connect now.

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone, 

If you are experiencing the issue with the printer stuck in initialize mode or No string RO you will need to contact phone support this way they can assist you with getting the printer back up and working. If your printer is out of warranty you will need to check the out of warranty option available to you at the link below. 

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

Hewlett Packard Technical Support

HP Out of Warranty Support Options for Select HP Consumer Printers

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

The printer is broken and will be picked up by HP next week. Even Hard Reset didn't work. 

HP Recommended

1. What model of printer do you have? M1212NF

2. Can you make a copy on the printer? NO

3. Do you remember any significant event that caused this? POSSIBLY INSTALLATION OF PRINT DRIVERS ON WINDOWS8 LAPTOP

4. How is the printer connected to the computer (USB, wireless, or Ethernet)? **Correction: Are all of your computers connected to this printer USB only? PRINTER CONNECTED TO WIRELESS ROUTER, ALL OTHER MACHINES CONNECTED TO WIRELESS ROUTER

5. Have you done a hard reset (unplugging the power cord while the printer is powered on)? YES, ISSUE NOT RESOLVED

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.