cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

8620 scan message returns after HP fixit app

HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8620
Microsoft Windows XP

I love my new 8620 after giving up a decade-old all-in-one HP.  Everything works so much better.  But my scan works for a while before getting a repeating pop-up message the disappears too soon for me to read.  But it is telling me that the connection for the scan is no longer working.  I try it and it's trure.  So I use the HP Print and Scan Doctor that fixes it.  And then the scan works again.  But some time later, the same message pops up again.  Sure enough, the scan is not working.

What must I do to stop this constant fail-and-repair cycle that continues wether I use the scan function in between or not????

Watercolorwilly

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
14,802 13,833 749 1,782
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @watercolorwilly,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I noticed that your scanner temporarily stops scanning sometimes with your HP Officejet 8620 on Windows XP. I am sorry to hear this, but happy to help!

Some questions, if you don't mind:

• How is your printer connected? Wireless, Ethernet, or USB?
  • When the scanner stops working, are you still able to make copies? Copy Text or Mixed Documents

In the meantime, please take a look through the steps in this scanning guide, A 'Computer Not Found' or 'Connection Error' Message Displays for HP Officejet Pro 8610, 8620, 8630,....

Hope this helps, and hope to hear from you soon! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
  • How is your printer connected? Wireless, Ethernet, or USB?

I am connected directly to my ASUS router via the ethernet cable.  The XP is also connected by cable to the router.  The HP toolkit finds and repairs the problem, but the problem soon returns again.

Everything else works as expected.  

I just checked the scan function again, operating from the printer screen.  Despite the message appearing on my XP monitor saying my scan function will not work, it actually scanned and the scan appeared on the the XP.  I did run the ad-aware program since first reporting this problem.  It found a dozen to be removed.  And then the scan function worked again.  But since then, that message appears again like every 5 minutes, but too quick to read and remember exactly what it says.  Therefore, I was surprised that the scan worked just now.  It this continues to work, I'll be happy, but it annoys me to have this message appear with the water-drop sound along with it to announce its arrival.  It's always something, isn't it?

Bill (watercolorwilly)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
14,802 13,833 749 1,782
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi watercolorwilly,

Thank you for your response!

Definitely seems odd about this message popping up. I would still take a look through the steps in this scanning guide, A 'Computer Not Found' or 'Connection Error' Message Displays for HP Officejet Pro 8610, 8620, 8630,.... Maybe it's just a case of the software needing to be reinstalled.

Another suggestion, is to try and take a screen shot of the message when it appears and post it on here, then I can look into this further for you!

Hope to hear from you soon, glad to hear that you can still scan! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've been very busy this past week and just got back to reponding to this issue.  As I read your link, I was perplexed by not seeing a choice of "XP with wired printer"  as mine is wired to a router which is wired to my XP.

But better yet, I again wondered why the fixit app also found an 8620 USB connection.  I finally decided this was not correct, so I found a way to delete it.  I'll watch some more, but so far I've not had the message show up and I just checked and confirmed that the scan to my XP continues to work.

Perhaps in the installation process I, or the app, also installed a USB connection when there was none, along with the network connected 8620.  I can see how there would be a message continue to say that there is no connection for the USB, while the network-connected 8620 continues to work.

Thanks for your efforts.  Without your questions, I may not have thought of this.  I'll keep you posted if the message returns.

Watercolorwilly

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nope, that didn't do it.  The one-second display announcing that my scan connection was lost, has come back again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
14,802 13,833 749 1,782
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi watercolorwilly,

Thank you for your replies!

At this point, I would recommend to please call our phone support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Country-language selector.

Best regards! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation