cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
RandySea
Level 2
16 11 2 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

Any way to speed dial a calling card and pin (pause needed)? Officejet 4500.

HP Recommended

There is nothing in the instructions or Help files about how to enter a phone calling card and pin for speed dialing. I would like to enter a number like:

1 800 234 5678 [pause] 1234 5678 9012

Compare: In the contacts list of my plain old wireless home phone I put in

1 800 234 5678 ppp 1234 5678 9012

I could find no info about adding pauses or about how long a speed dial number can be.

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandySea
Author
Level 2
16 11 2 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Through trial and error and some guesswork, I figured out how to get pauses into the fax address book. It is a dash.

Example:  1 800 555 2222 --- 1 - 509 996 1234  This will dial access code, wait two seconds, dial 1, wait one second, dial number.

The manual does not explain this. It only says to use the Redial/Pause key, which doesn't exist on this model. However, for setting up speed dial on the fax panel (as opposed to from a PC), it says to hit the * key until it becomes a dash. That was my clue. On the fax setup on the PC, you just put in dashes directly to get pauses.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RandySea
Author
Level 2
16 11 2 0
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I should add that there is also nothing I could find in any of the Officejet 4500 instructions about how to use speed dial once you have a number entered in the speed dial list. On my other Officejet there is a Speed Dial button.

Again, I have looked in the instruction manual and the Help.

0 Kudos
RandySea
Author
Level 2
16 11 2 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@RandySea wrote:

I should add that there is also nothing I could find in any of the Officejet 4500 instructions about how to use speed dial once you have a number entered in the speed dial list. On my other Officejet there is a Speed Dial button.

Again, I have looked in the instruction manual and the Help.

Ok, I have figured out the answer to my second question, the one quoted above.

After you move the LCD pointer to Fax, do NOT press Start or OK. Instead, press and hold the desired speed dial number until it appears in the LCD screen.* Then press the green Start key twice. The LCD will ask if you want to fax from glass or document feeder. Press 1 or 2, whichever, and then the printer will begin dialing.

* Note that while I did not find the italicized sentence in any instructions, it does appear on the Control Panel Guide after "Numeric Keypad." The rest of it I had to figure out by trial and error.

I still don't know how to get pauses saved in Speed Dial entries.

0 Kudos
RandySea
Author
Level 2
16 11 2 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Through trial and error and some guesswork, I figured out how to get pauses into the fax address book. It is a dash.

Example:  1 800 555 2222 --- 1 - 509 996 1234  This will dial access code, wait two seconds, dial 1, wait one second, dial number.

The manual does not explain this. It only says to use the Redial/Pause key, which doesn't exist on this model. However, for setting up speed dial on the fax panel (as opposed to from a PC), it says to hit the * key until it becomes a dash. That was my clue. On the fax setup on the PC, you just put in dashes directly to get pauses.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
kdkeller
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I am having the very same issue with a 5610 all in one.  I have to get some pauses in.  I have my calling card 1-800 number in speed dial 1, and speed dial 2 is the pin.  However, at the very first p/u, the machine starts trying to fax, the resulting fax tone it makes ruining any chances of a fax working.

Can you say more about how to insert pauses?  My manual says it's a # or the Redial/Pause, but neither of these work once the machine has started faxing.  Are you putting them in with your speed dial or how/where are you inserting them?

I've been working on this all day (having strangely been successful last week,) and have been in tears once or twice (could be because I lost my job.)  Any help appreciated.

Thank you,

Kris

0 Kudos
Ewang
Level 1
5 5 0 1
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

A suggested workflow to perform is to on Officejet 4500 :

1. Load document on the scanner glass

2. Press the left/right arrow to select Fax B/W or Fax Color then press OK

3. Enter the phone number via the keypad.

Note : To add a pause, press the * button repeatedly until a dash (-) appear.

4. Press start to activate faxing.

Hope this is the answer you are looking for. have a great day

I work for HP
0 Kudos
RandySeaToo
2 1 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Re: Any way to speed dial a calling card and pin (pause needed)? Officejet 4500. - SOLVED!

> Ewang 04-18-2012 11:25 PM

> Hi

> A suggested workflow to perform is to on Officejet 4500 :

> 1. Load document on the scanner glass

> 2. Press the left/right arrow to select Fax B/W or Fax Color then press OK

> 3. Enter the phone number via the keypad. > Note : To add a pause, press the * button repeatedly until a dash (-) appear.

> 4. Press start to activate faxing. > Hope this is the answer you are looking for. have a great day

> I work for HP

No, Ewang, it is NOT the answer. At least, not the full answer to the question I asked. Look at the subject of this thread. It is how to SPEED DIAL. Your answer is how to MANUAL dial.

You correctly explain (as I already did above) how to use the dash to create a pause. This is what you do when creating and saving a speed dial number on the printer keypad. By the way, as far as I can tell, the speed dial numbers you create from the keypad have no relation to the ones you create in your Address Book in the software.

I should also add that I am the original poster. I had forgotten my password and went through the process of resetting my password. This forced me to select a new screen name. I was RandySea, now RandySeaToo. This is a defect in your board software. It should have only reset my password, not forced an entirely new account.

0 Kudos
cybercompass
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my Officejet 4500 Wireless.  No instructions on how to use speed dial even after the numbers were loaded into the speed dial list using the software.  I tried the option to hold down the speed dial number, but couldn't get that to work.

This is what worked on my model:

Load document

Screen shows document loaded

Hit ok

FAX B&W comes up on screen

hit ok

Enter Fax number appears on screen

Hit right arrow

Speed Dial appears on screen

hit ok

List appears to choose from

Choose and hit the Green button

This takes longer than actually dialing the phone number each time, so I probably won't use it that often.  If you have lots of speed dial numbers it might save you some time.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation