cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

C4580 Wireless Fail (VSA 100 error)

HP Recommended

I'm on the second C4580 now, the first was just replaced under warranty due to paper feed issues, but I've had the same networking problem with both units.  The first unit was installed 7 months ago, and immediatly connected to the wireless router and worked fine.  The printer was unplugged and moved one day, and I never got it to work correctly again.  I uninstalled the software and attempted reinstall but got the VSA 100 error.  The printer's network test said that I may have MAC address filtering on, which I do not, nor any other filtering or protection beyond the WPA key.  Then the paper feed broke.

So the second unit came earlier this week and much like the first unit it installed very quick and the computer could recognize the printer and I could access the printer's IP address to get to its home page.  Oddly, when I opened the HP solution center it said I wasn't connected to the printer until I went to the settings tab and accessed the printer's hompage through that, then it said it was connected.  Then the solution center started having a sort of fit where if flashed every few seconds that the printer was connected then wasn't.  Then the printer went to sleep (screen went dark) and I could no longer send test page requests.  I thought this might be the firmware issue that was addressed with updates last Spring (unresponsiveness), so I downloaded those files, but when I ran them they couldn't find the printer.  I then downloaded the HP network diagnostic, but it did not see the printer in either list (even after cycling the router and printer power).  I then uninstalled the driver software and attempted to reinstall when I got, wait for it, the VSA 100 error.  The printer does seem to work fine on a USB connection, but that isn't a permanent solution for me.  I've gone through my router settings to see if any other possible filtering could be going on, but can't find anything.  I even disabled the WPA password, setting my network wide open, and cycled the printer's power, with no luck, it didn't show up on the router as a device.

The printer's network test report says the following:

Wireless on- pass

Wireless networking- pass

Network name (ssid) found- pass

Security- pass

Printer settings consistent with wireless router settings- pass

No filtering- FAIL

Connected- not run

Signal Strength- Very Low (of note:  the printer was sitting next to wireless router)

Other networks detected matching your network name (ssid)- no

Wireless Networks Dectected- 4

Downlink Count- 5

Channel- not run

Network Name (ssid)- LookMaNoWires (of note:  this is the correct network name)

Hardware Address (MAC)- 00:1f:29:f6:e7:d8

IP Address- Not Applicable

Configuration Source- Not Applicable

Communication Mode- Infrastructure

Authentication Type- WPA-PSK

Encryption- Automatic (AES or TKIP)

The computer is running Vista 64 w/Norton Internet Security 2009

The router is a Netgear WNR834B

I have no clue where else to look for this issue.  Any thoughts/ ideas would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,877
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you disabled Norton firewall?

This tool may also be helpful.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
40 31 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, this did not help solve the problem, so no Kudos to you;

(well, maybe half a Kudo, for at least answering the question and trying to help.)

Anyone else have info on this 100 VSA error code, when trying to do a wireless connection to the printer?

thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,877
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you updated the router firmware?  There are some known issues with older Netgear firmware and HP printers.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Router runs auto-update when accessed, and claims to be up-to-date.  Disabling firewall didn't help.

Since original post the hinge on my HP laptop broke, rendering my system even less useful than before.  As the laptop is no longer portable, the USB connection is being used to print.

I realize now that HP quality is not what it used to be, I'm looking at Mac's.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation