Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro M402dn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've just received a new Laserjet Pro M402dn, and I'm trying to connect it to my new Dell XPS 13 laptop. It's running on Windows 10, 64-bit. 

I've tried several times to install them from the HP Support Site (no disc drive on my new laptop). First time, it took quite long (about 15 minutes) and then I got an error message saying it had taken too long, this had caused a fatal error and I needed to restart my laptop and try again. 

Restarted my laptop the second time I got most of the way through the process of the installer and then I got this error message: "A problem occurred while preparing to load software to your system. Please restart your computer and run this installer again. If the problem persists, please check the product support website for your product." Third restart, same result. 

I saw a similar posting from August on this site with the same problem and no replies. Any chance someone's encountered and solved this? Thanks. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please go to the following site

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=7458633&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4192

Download Firmware, all 3 software and drivers then save on your computer. After that, one by one, right click downloaded files and run as administrator to install software and drivers. Please inslall firmware last.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for this. I was able to download all the drivers as described. Each installed, except for the 75 mb download ("printer series basic"), which stalled at the "preparing to install" phase. However, I followed that with the firmware install, and then went back to try to execute the 'basic' download, hoping it would  install at that point. Process rolled along to about 92%, then I get the same error message as before "A problem occurred while preparing to load software to your system. Please restart your computer and run this installer again. If the problem persists, please check the product support website for your product." 

I've tried changing various settings in the control panel - such as designating the printer as my default, but the printer is always shown as "offline". I've succeeded in printing several test pages on it, so I know it's not the printer. 

Other suggestions? Thanks. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.