cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
tgwright
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Can't set printer as default. Error code 0x0000709

HP3510 Deskjet printer instaled on Hp laptop running windows 7. Cannot set printer as default. Error code 0x0000709. Removed old computer and software

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Level 9
5,287 5,278 183 604
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

tgwright,

Does this error code appear on the printer itself or on the PC?
You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
0 Kudos
tgwright
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The code sdhows up on the computer

0 Kudos
Level 9
5,287 5,278 183 604
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

tgwright,

Thank you for the additional info. There may be a problem with the software installed to the PC preventing the change. Try downloading and running the print and scan doctor located here:
http://goo.gl/Ujpib

It can fix a lot on its own and if not give a better idea of what is going on.
Best of Luck!
You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
0 Kudos
tgwright
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I tried the hp printer troubleshooter with no success, but I will try this one

Thanks

0 Kudos
tgwright
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Itried again, and it still does not set the default printer

0 Kudos
Level 9
5,287 5,278 183 604
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

tgwright,

Thank you for the additional info. With the print and scan doctor not locating any corrupted software/driver problems its time to look to the operating system itself. Others who have had similar issues with the same error indicate a corrupted registry key causing the problem:
http://goo.gl/t94JG

http://goo.gl/uejgi

Beware these solutions indicate changing registry info (very dangerous if you do not know what you are doing). If you are not comfortable in the registry or have never been there before I would suggest seeking additional support in some fashion (Microsoft/Local IT/PC Repair service/etc).

Best of Luck!
tgwright
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for responding. I have no idea how to make the registry changes described. I also have no idea how to code for my printer.

I won't attempt this.

Tom W

0 Kudos
tgwright
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I needed to print a pdf document and it would only offer the old printer as an option so I was now faced with returning the new printer to the store or getting into regedit. I tried the least invasive cure in the list. I changed permission in the registry. That worked.

Thanks very much for the assist.

0 Kudos
tgwright
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I was reluctant to try regedit, but when I was unable to print a pdf document because the new printer was not recognized I was desrarate. I edired the permissions, and taht worked. Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation