Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ENVY 4520
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Hello,

I just unboxed my ENVY 4520.  I am unable to print wirelessly because my WiFi network is 5ghz.  The printer setup says that it cannot connect to 5ghz (only 2.4). 

My router is an Apple TimeCapsule.  I do not know how to configure it for 2.4ghz to communicate with the printer.  I believe the TimeCapsule defaults to the strongest connection, which is 5ghz, and can go to 2.4 only if the signal is weak. (I could be mistaken.)

I am trying to connect a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.11 El Capitan.  There must be a way.  Please assist!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
WiFi printers are not supported on the 5Ghz band, only the 2.4Ghz band is supported.
HP Recommended

Thank you.

So what can be done?  Should I jut return the printer?  Or is there a way to configure the router for dual band?

HP Recommended

Hi:

It appears you can set your device to the 2.4 GHz band...

Please see if the instructions at the link below are of help to you.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068

HP Recommended

@dirtyjersey wrote:

Thank you.

So what can be done?  Should I jut return the printer?  Or is there a way to configure the router for dual band?

You turn on the 2.4Ghz band and use it.  Make sure you have different SSID for the 2.4 and the 5.0 bands.   They are not to be the same SSID (Network name).  NOw connect to your 2.4Ghz SSID name.

HP Recommended

I have this printer at home and it is a great printer however because there is no 5Ghz band available I am having to use a seperate WiFi Access Point that is running 2.4Ghz. Now you are probably thinking why not justuse dual band on my Linksys WiFi Access Point -  the issue is all my laptops (work, personal), Smart, TV and phones all use 5Ghz with a total throughput of 300Mbps which is really relied for streaming 4k over the net and content from my Plex server. What I have noticed is when you use dual band you lose half your bandwidth using 5Ghz which becomes an issue for the above mentioned.

It would be really great if HP Inc would just add the feature becuase the radio IC does support 5Ghz.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.