cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Dave_K
Level 7
Level 7
615 613 42 117
Message 11 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Depending on when it is happening it could certainly be on the server side of things but usually if it is happening frequently it is a network communication issue on the printer/router side of things. (The local network in other words.) You might try setting a static IP address on the printer to see if that solves the issue. To do this:

1. Find your printer's IP address either by printing a network configuration page or by displaying the network summary on the front panel. 
  2. Enter this IP address into your browser and hit enter.
  3. Go to the networking tab (on most printers).
  4. Select IPv4 from the left side menu (on most printers).
  5. Select manual IP settings.
  6. Usually there is a button that states "Suggest a manual IP address". Click this.
  7. In the bottom two DNS fields enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 respectively.

Let me know if anything looks different then the way I described if you try to do that, a couple of our printers have slightly different interfaces.

If I have solved your issue, please feel free to provide kudos and make sure you mark this thread as solution provided!

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.
Watsonia
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 12 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To Dave: 

Thank you for your advice but unfortunately I am so "unclued" about computers I can't really put into action the advice you kindly provide.  First of all, what do you mean by an IP address because I did get a message previously which said:

"Unable to communicate with the network device.  If you installed the printer by IP address, then you might need to update the IP address.  Use the Update IP address item in the Start menu entry to the printer."

I don't know where to start with this as it is like a foreign language to me!!  Are you able to throw light on the message for me please ... in plain man's language if at all possible!! 

In the meantime, it still will not print anything at all and I keep getting the same message.

Thank you.

Watsonia2

0 Kudos
Dave_K
Level 7
Level 7
615 613 42 117
Message 13 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Let me know what kind of printer you are using and I can walk you through the whole procedure. If I don't answer you tonight I will tomorrow.

If I have solved your issue, please feel free to provide kudos and make sure you mark this thread as solution provided!

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.
0 Kudos
Watsonia
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 14 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Again, thank you - I am using a brand new (!) HP 6500A Plus printer which I got about 2 weeks ago.  A friend (who is very computer literate!) and who lives in my area installed it for me and it worked OK for about 2 weeks but now it has opted out of being cooperative.  Unfortunately the friend is away for a few days and I am truly "stuck" without the printer!!

If you have some free time to spare tomorrow evening at some point to "walk me through" the problem it would be very much appreciated.  Is this HP model particularly quirky? - I had my last and only printer (also an HP) for about 15 years and it gave no problems whatsoever.

Let me emphasise that I am not a computer literate person!!   Watsonia2

0 Kudos
Elastigirl
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 15 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Dave. I've done what you said and the status is shown as connected on the eprint server. However, the usual IP address of my printer has been changed because of the reconfiguration to some huge number at the end. Does that mean that the IP address will stay as that all the time, i.e. the one that is manually suggested?

I hope it remains stable now.

0 Kudos
Dave_K
Level 7
Level 7
615 613 42 117
Message 16 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes Elastigirl, it should always remain the same now that it is manually reassigned.

0 Kudos
Watsonia
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 17 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dave K ... I don't know what has happened - as I haven't altered/adjusted anything on the printer or computer, but it has just managed (after 2 days trying) to print a page for me!!   Which is not to say it has totally sorted itself out!

I am grateful for the responses you have made to my queries - I would be even more grateful if you could clarify how I tackle the same situation in the future by following the advice you gave which - at present - I do not understand, ie as follows:  Please could you spell this out in more detail for this non-computerate-literate being!

1. Find your printer's IP address either by printing a network configuration page or by displaying the network summary on the front panel. 
  2. Enter this IP address into your browser and hit enter.
  3. Go to the networking tab (on most printers).
  4. Select IPv4 from the left side menu (on most printers).
  5. Select manual IP settings.
  6. Usually there is a button that states "Suggest a manual IP address". Click this.
  7. In the bottom two DNS fields enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 respectively.

Thank you.   Watsonia2

0 Kudos
Dave_K
Level 7
Level 7
615 613 42 117
Message 18 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No problem! Glad it is working for you! Here is how you would follow the steps on your printer.

1. To find the IP address go to Setup-> Network-> View network summary ->View wireless (or if this is the regular 6500a you should already be looking at it)

2. Steps 2-8 should be relatively easy to follow once you have the IP address, but let me know if you need additional help.

Watsonia
Level 1
8 7 0 0
Message 19 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dave - I've printed (!) out your solution + the explanation (!) and will keep it as a stand-by should I have the same problem with the printer again ... which I sincerely hope I do not.  However, I still don't know what caused the problem in the first place!.   Thanks so much for your attention and suggested solution.     Watsonia

0 Kudos
Dave_K
Level 7
Level 7
615 613 42 117
Message 20 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No problem!

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation