Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My duplex printing feature didn't work after updating to Windows 10, so I came to HP looking for a driver update and help. Saw the Firmware update I missed and downloaded it. Now my printer that was FINE, absolutely FINE, has stopped working. It is running but there is nothing in the Status window.

Blank.

No lights, no menu, nothing. I followed the directions here and unplugged and pulled the white tab and reinserted it. No change. The printer shows "Offline" in the Device and Printer area.

I cannot believe HP intentionally created a firmware update that destroys the machine--back in 2012 and no fix yet?

This printer worked perfectly until the Windows 10 update that led me to the HP site and the Firmware update.

Any fixes?

HP Recommended

This fix worked for me. I tool the back off and removed all the cables on the card on the lefthand side. This is basiclly what was the fix, but it is easyer with the back off.  

Thanks for the help.

Barike

HP Recommended

The fix was short lived.  Once you try to print a large file you are right backe to the same problem.

POed to say the least, will never buy an HP product again.

barike

HP Recommended

I only see "79 Error Turn off then on" when I send a document to print. What should I do to correct this?

HP Recommended

I got the same error with my priter.

The product is able to boot successfully till READY status, but gives error only while print job is sent or when it is connected to network port.

Please Help.

Best regards,

Sujith.

HP Recommended

[Really Solved : It took 2.5 years. **bleep** it 🙂 ]

I met this issue approxim 2.5 years ago.  My two 2605dn printers of office had same issue with FW 20120413.

Since updated  those printer with this firmware, I had have bad dream so far. Even I was computer hardware/firmwre engineer long time ago, I couldn't fix it.  At that time I was mad.  Bad firmware, bad HP, and bad customer service. So bad bad bad.  I have kept two printers in garage for almost 3 years. I didn't throw them out. 

Recently I had time to recheck the root cause so, I did. 

The root cause is little complex as so many guys mentioned before like as firmware, getting old printer and formatter board etc.

I believe all is right!!

Those are all complex mixed.

But apprantely real root cause is firmware. Why? HP put  so many code into core chip on formatter logic board to improve / revise functions. Core has to excute lot of jobs especially related to spool and other checking function.

So core chip is very hot and reset internally and shows error 79 via some of process.

If we install additional memory into dimm slot, this issue not happen or very very rare  because core has enough lagging time with additional memory like as spooling.

I can guess some formatter board can get thermal problem on core parts due to getting old as BGA ball area metal corrosion. As you know,  metal internal resistance  increasing can cause thermal problem and let it goes reset.

So, we have 3 solutions 

1.  Change new formatter board - not good solution (at least US $50)

now this used printer price  $30 - $50  some printer free

2. Add Additional memory - 128 or 256MB 

okay, this is one of good solution. you have to pay another $20-$40 extra money.

3.  Change firmware : 20120413 - > old one

* Many people say when they tried to change firmware, can't do it. why? always reset and error 79 .. how come?

internal reset, reset, reset  with thermal issue.

We can use two kinds of methos 1) mac,  2) windows

I don't recommend  using the mac because currently the firmware update utility doesn't support latest Mac OS  and also we have to have  long initial preparing time to update comparing using windows.

* Some people say, they already changed the firmware, but still same problem. why?

Except formatter board problem, their firmware change is wrong, still same firmware 20120413. 

I also had same issue many times, already changed firmware, display show smile logo. I belived printer was okay and tried to use and print  but error 79. When I tried to see config page but couldn't do that.. alwasy reset reset.. so give up again.

That was'nt right firmware update, still same problem. So check it again.

* Recommend Update Process

1) Prepare windows (I used windows7) + update utility 20071108(you can download from many place now. you can search)

2) You must go to the printer menu for servce and set RFU ON before installing the downgrade.

-> Very important

-  But, when you try to see that area, sometimes always automatically reset, reset

-  you try to let the printer leave long time(just one night) unplug power + USB

-  please confirm that again.

3) Prepare computer with Windows7 and connect to printer via USB cable

4) leave the printer as cold for one night or really cold state with air Fan or etc

I opened memory door on back side and used the thermal pad(very cold) between core chip and steel chassie.

*5) After all set, make sure printer doesn't have power and usb, just leave as nothing .

*6) Prepare update utility  and open it on the screen(I mean "ready" for downgrading.)

7) Then plug power line into printer and USB cable. 

😎 Power on printer -> warming up -> ready, at that time you can hear "ding ding" sound from Windows 7.

You can select target printer from menu of Update utility and click "Send firmware" right a way at speed.  🙂

9) Printer showes "Erasing"  -> "Programming"  then okay.

Let me make sure the process.. "Don't do any step on printer after power on the printer"  

As soon as power on the printer and "ding ding" -> select "send firmware"  .. really important.

If you fail the process,,, don't worry.. just leave it long time then do it again.

My two 2605dn printer are now alive. 

I used the thermal pad for fixing(downgrading firmware) for one printer , but didn't use it for another.. only at speed and my finger on the core chip. "hehe"

So.. now I am happy. Those printers are perfect working without error 79 any issue and additional memory.

I have used them for more than 50 pages printing so far with one printer. Another printer only around 12 pages.

Everybody Good luck!!  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.