Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks for this post Bob.

This method worked for my 820cxi on 64 bit windows 7.

HP Recommended

I'm still having problems:

I downloaded your patch, created a temp folder but are unable to produce .DLL files.

First I tried WinZip to unzip the patch, but it couldn't... error message. Then I tried Stuffit Expander 2011. It did something, but again, no .dll files. What next?

Incidentally, when I tried to print a test page without the patch, I get a 'spooler' error.

HP Recommended

@nlarks wrote:

I'm still having problems:

I downloaded your patch, created a temp folder but are unable to produce .DLL files.

First I tried WinZip to unzip the patch, but it couldn't... error message. Then I tried Stuffit Expander 2011. It did something, but again, no .dll files. What next?

Incidentally, when I tried to print a test page without the patch, I get a 'spooler' error.

What operating system do you have? Which printer model?  In Windows 7 you should be able to just right click on the zip file and select "open".  If you do this do you see the three files?  You should be able to select the three files, right click on them, select copy.  Next navigate in explorer to %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3 and paste the files you just copied.  You will need administrative priv. to complete this.

The spooler error is the problem that this patch fixes.  Once you have the patch applied you will not get that error.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I need it! How do I get it?

HP Recommended

@rcnewt wrote:

I need it! How do I get it?

The patch and instructions are included in the first post in this thread.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

this fix works like a champ 

you are the best

many thanks

coachmanny

HP Recommended
What do you mean you copied them to Explorer? They have to go into a directory called C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3. I am sorry for younger people who never learned about folders [directories] and files. If you are having difficulty understandng what is meant by command prompt, forget that part of the instruction and figure out how to explore files in Win. Then you can find this directory/folder and under EDIT, you can copy files into it. I don't know all the answers. It seemed to be working but I had to turn cptr off & on, then run printer troubleshooter again. Afraid to turn it off...
HP Recommended
Well, I've done all these things. Was it 2 downloads to the drivers\x64? And it still didn't work, although there was some progress. I changed ports & other variable. For the nth time I turned off cptr and turned on again. The printer had seemingly disappeared but its picture still appeared under Devices. For the umpteen time I ran troubleshoot under its Properties.. & bygod it worked, at least via Notepad. I am afraid to turn off so I have written down my settings for HP Deskjet 722C on 64bit Win 7: "Print directly to computer", "Port = USB001 Virtual Pr Port, Hardware shows both HP720C & usb printing support, the properties of which say "Port_#0002 Hub_#0003"
Now, lets just see if it works with an ancient version of Lotus. I like old stuff.
HP Recommended

Kudos to Bob Headrick and the engineer who invented that patch!

I was able to download & install it relatively easily. After some experimentation with various USB ports

and printer identities my silent printer came to life and printed me a Test Page. My computer now thinks a HP 720c is connected ( while I know it is really a 722c ) but who cares? It works GREAT!  Thank you again

I Accept as Solution,   rcnewt

HP Recommended
It worked! Yay! So glad I held on to my trusty HP722C even though I couldn't get it to work under Vista. Now with my new Windows7 laptop it has found new life!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.