Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Ha funzionato perfettamente anche sul mio Windows 7 con la HP 710C.

Stavo impazzendo e mi dispiaceva non riuscirci.

Grazie

Franz

HP Recommended

@Bob_Headrick wrote:

@keller22 wrote:

Great, as they say, one small step, thanks for the nudge, but now all that happens in dos is -

C:\windows\system32\drivers\x64\3 and a blinking curser ?? 

sorry can you prompt any further. please.

OK, sorry about the lack of good instructions.  Let's do the following:

Download the patch from here.  Now click on the file and open it, then extract the patch to some directory that is easy to find.  (I use c:\temp.  If this directory does not exist you can create it as follows: open the administrative DOS prompt, then type

MD c:\temp

CD \temp

Now extract the patch files into the c:\temp directory (extract all, chose c:\temp as the destination).

Next click back in the administrative DOS prompt and type the following: (stuff in green is comments, do not type them...)

DIR *.dll   (this is just to verify the files are there, it should list hpdvb720.dll, hpdvb820.dll and hpwm5db1.dll and perhaps others.)

Net stop spooler  (makes sure the files are not in use.)

Copy hpdvb720.dll C:\windows\system32\drivers\x64\3  (this is for the 710/712/720/722)

Copy hpdvb820.dll c:\windows\system32\drivers\x64\3 (this covers the Deskjet 820 and 822)

Copy hpwm5db1.dll c:\windows\system32\drivers\x64\3 (this covers the Deskjet 1000)

Net Start Spooler

Exit

This would have the patch installed and ready to print.

Attention: hpvdb720.dll is the correct name and not hpdvb720.dll

but i copied it via Explorer as administrator with no problems

The system asked if overwrite and i said yes.

My system is Windows 7 Professional 64 bit  and i have a hp 710C.

Why microsoft or hp do not update drivers????????????????????

Thanks for your precious support!!!!

FRANZ 

HP Recommended

I feel like I'm so close....but after doing everythin, and my screen looks just like the example you posted, I hit enter and nothing happens.  The cursor just blinks.  I tried to copy the DLL files from my desktop and paste them at the prompt, but nothing happens.  What should I do after the info is entered and the cursor is blinking?

HP Recommended

When I type it as "dvb" or "vdb" I get the same message: ....is not recognized as an internal or external command.  I'm starting to cry.  Help me.

HP Recommended

@Don1carter wrote:

When I type it as "dvb" or "vdb" I get the same message: ....is not recognized as an internal or external command.  I'm starting to cry.  Help me.

The command is as follows, type everything shown in red below.  Note there is a space after the "copy" and the filename and also between the filenames.   

Copy   hpvdb720.dll   C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3

Copy   hpvdb820.dll   c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3

Copy   hpwm5db1.dll   c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3

[edited to correct the path, my typo.  Also, some browser of other settings may set security on the dll files that prevents their use.  To correct this open the Computer folder and navigate to c:\temp.  Next right click on the dll files and click properties.  Near the bottom of the properties box may be a nessage that the file was downloaded and is blocked from sue.  Tick the box to enable use of the file.]

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your patience.  But now it says "The system cannot find the file specified."  I'm sure the problem is me.

HP Recommended

@Don1carter wrote:

Thanks so much for your patience.  But now it says "The system cannot find the file specified."  I'm sure the problem is me.

I will send you a PM, I am sure we can get this working.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi Bob. I'm also trying to get my 710C to work on Windows 7 64 with a USB cable. It has previously worked fine on XP and Vista. I've downloaded, extracted and copied over the three files carefully. I've also followed the steps in VernonE's post, but I've not got it going yet. I'll be absolutely thrilled if I can get the old machine still working. Can you help at all with any suggestions to get it set up to print? I think maybe my problem is getting the PC to recognise the USB cable (IEE-1284 controller) as a 710C printer - ? I'm not a techy at all. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hey great. I've sorted it. Just needed to go to the printer properties and select the USB001 as the port. 710C is back in action. Thanks Bob for the patch.

HP Recommended

@ChrisH1100 wrote:

Hey great. I've sorted it. Just needed to go to the printer properties and select the USB001 as the port. 710C is back in action. Thanks Bob for the patch.

I'm glad you got it working.  I will update the instructions on the front page to suggest USB001: as a port when using a USB-Parallel converter.

Please post a response here with the brand of USB-Parallel cable you have if known.  It may help others looking for a suitable converter cable.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.