Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just bought an Envy 7645. I had problems trying to connect to it wirelessly so opted for a USB connection. Immediately it wouldn't print. But after some experiments it prints some documents but not others. I can scan fine and save to PDF then print that scanned PDF just fine. But it won't print other PDFs. I tried to print from MS Word just some simple text and it won't print. But if I save the document to PDF I can print that PDF. I can print a fairly complex JPG from CorelPaint. But again, a simple Word doc with 20 characters of text won't print. Loading a PDF into Adobe reader won't generally print.

I've installed the latest drivers (Nov 2016). I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software both from the CD and online. I've unplugged the printer and plugged it back in. Rebooted computer. Pretty odd.

Thanks,

Jon Fernandez

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Jon-Jay,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I understand that your HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer does not print in pdf and word files.

This issue could occur if the Adobe Reader is not updated to the latest version.

Don't worry as I have a few steps that should help fix this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link: Cannot Print PDFs from Adobe Reader

For issue with printing from MS Word, you may follow the link: How to troubleshoot printing problems in Word

Let me know how that works.

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Thanks for trying to help. The help link for PDFs had a broken link to that test pdf file so I couldn't load it and test it. With PDFs I did try print as image with one of my own PDFs and that worked. But just printing the PDF as text doesn't work. If I do a scan to PDF, that image file PDF will print.

With the Word help, that's a pretty stock set of guide lines. I did open a blank document and put a bunch of "asdf" in it and that doesn't print. But if I export it to PDF, that PDF does print. I doubt there's any problem with my normal.dot template file, and anything I print in Word to my older HP laser printer never has a problem.

And as I said before, my image editing software can print a complex jpg just fine.

So it's like this printer can print things rendered to images just fine. But it doesn't seem to want to print text. Pretty odd for a new HP printer to print images just fine, but not very simple text.

I'm on Windows 7, have all the latest updates, retried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest HP drivers for this printer, but nothing makes a difference. The printer can scan and print image files, but not text based files apparently.

HP Recommended

And just to add to the fun, Notepad will print simple text. But WordPad won't print at all.

So I'm having a problem printing PDF, Word Doc, and Word Pad. And all of these print fine to my HP LaserJet 1300.

HP Recommended

@Jon-Jay,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

I request you to add HP Deskjet 990c printer and check.

Please follow the link: http://hp.care/2jMexNG

Let me know if this works.

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.