Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
MFP M477FNW
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I purchased a brand new HP MFP M477FNW Laserjet printer 2 days ago, I tried setting up at home where I have the following setup. 

Computer: Macbook Pro OSX 10.11

Network: Wireless SSID, wired, and WPS button

My current setup steps:

Once I turn on the printer set the language, location etc. the printer home screen looks great. I print a usage page and works just fine. 

When I add my wireless network, enter the SSID I get a green arrow and confirmation that the printer has connected to the network. From there I try to print a usage page and right away "49 SERVICE ERROR TURN OFF THEN ON" and the printer restarts itself. 

I can now see the printer in my "available printers" tab on my mac, when I send a print job- the printer screen changes to "printing" but stays in that screen until I manually reboot the printer. The document never prints and I have to delete the print job from the mac. 

I try printing something from my iPhone but I get a similar error: "Unable to connect to printer" 

-- Knowing all of this I decide to turn off the wireless on the printer and reset jobs, and restart. works fine again. 

Now I plug in the CAT5 network cable and to my surprise all of the problems continue. 

I repeat the process for the WPS button connection and receive  the same errors. 

-- Assuming it must be a hardware error, I exchange the printer at the store for another brand new MFP M477FNW and when I get home to my surprise the problem continues. 

Can someone please help me with this issue?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended
49 errors are often caused by print jobs.

Since you are having the same problem with two machines it sounds like you have a job in the print queue that is causing the issue.

If you disconnect the machine from the network both hard and wireless networks can you print the self test pages is built into the machine?

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

Did you get this issue resolved. I am having the exact same issue.

Thanks

RP

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my brand new M477fnw. Just unboxed it. 49 service error!  What's the problem?

HP Recommended
Try updating the firmware, if issue persists call support to log a service case. Most probably you might end up getting a replacement.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (Thumbs up) button in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Firmware is at the latest version 20160921.  It seems to be something with network settings.  No matter what methid I use to connect the printer with, when I try to print or print a summary page from the reports menu, 49 service error.

HP Recommended
Disconnect the printer from the network, physical a d wifi. Reset the printer settings, without configuring the network on the printer try printing something from the printer menu.
Let me know what happens
Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (Thumbs up) button in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Yes, that works.  I forgot to mention that in my previous post.

HP Recommended
Good. In the networking tab advanced setting disable all optionz except ipv4. Enable dhcp if you are using it.
HP Recommended

Ok, I had that setting before, but this time I manually added the printer to the system by selecting I don't see my printer then enetered the IP address for the printer.  I was then able to print a test page. I then removed the device and continued the software install to find the device with its IP address. I am now full access to the printer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.