cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fatal Error during Installation

Hi I have tried everything to install the HP printer software and have failed so I have come here for help please.

It is HP Photosmart C4480 All in One

When I install the software it goes as far as 3 out of 4 options and then up pops the dreaded window with:

Fatal error during installation. Setup\hpzmsi01.exe -m dot4wrp -ENU fC;Window

It then sends the fault information to HP Support who comes back saying they have downloaded a remedy.The programme then uninstall's itself and reboots the PC. I give it another go [4 times up to now] and the same thing happens and also I get the same information from HP. This printer used to work on this laptop when I had XP SP1 but recently I reformatted the HD and installed XP SP3 The latest email I've had from HP is that they cannot do anything by email and to contact them by phone on Monday

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 10
4,502 4,478 304 1,046
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

type these commands in a run window:

msiexec \unreg
msiexec \regserver

Now retry the installation. If this doesnt work, download and Install the latest version of the printer software from hp.com, and also the latest version of Microsoft Installer(v. 3.5 or 4.5, i'm not quite sure) before installing the software.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you DexterM

The window installer did the trick but now it will not recognise the cable.When I go to Device manager to install the driver with the CD I get the following message "Cannot install the hardware" USB composite Device. The Data is invalid

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello I have similar problem only I don´t gsat past option 1 of 4 and the installation stalls, it will not do anything!!!  it can saty there forever.. I´ve tried the solutions HP gives.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00625472&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=3655558

Step one: Uninstall the software

Step two: Turn off the 'terminate and stay resident' programs and other background programs

Step three: Clear temporary files and folders

Step four: Install the product software

and i get stuck..... please can yoi give me any more suggestions I really don´t want to have to format my hard disk....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The so-called solution they send you is useless, but I tried a very simple trick suggested for another printer (I forget what it was, and mine's an "obsolete"  D2360) and it worked like a charm. Don't rely on your disk, but leave it in, and leave your printer attached and on. Go to Start, Control Panel, Add Hardware, and follow the prompts. Windows recommends just going with the disk, but ignore that and ask Windows to do the installation. After 4 hour's butting my head and calling HP people, who mainly tried to sell me a new printer, this solution worked in about 15 minutes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

At least someone contacted you. I keep receiving a fatal error message and have been installing, uninstalling ALL DAY. I will NEVER purchase another HP product even if they gave it away free.

I wasted money buying their printer. Now it does nothing.  Thanks bunches HP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

I have tried  to install the HP printer software and have failed on the last step.I used the HP DESKJET F4200 SERIES.

When I installed it goes on 96% and it installed very slow,then it has an errorr"Fatal error during installation".I did tried to many times and it didn't work.What should I do now?I can't print anny.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the smae problem, have been working it for most of the day. This fix did not work.  Please help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having this issue as well.

Install Process

1. Tried to install my HP Photosmart C4795 on my laptop
  2. The printer was being seen as an unknown device by Windows 7
  3. I ran the installer from the installation CD
  4. The installer attempted to install and failed with some kind of "Stub" error number

Now there are two ways to go from here.  The installer builds an error report, which I can cancel.  If I cancel there is a different set of options (both of which converge upon failure in the end)

Option 1: Let The Error Report Be Built

1. The installer makes an error report (which I can optionally cancel and have tried cancelling and not cancelling)
  2. The installer places an .exe file on my desktop called HP "Installation Error - Windows 7.hta", which seems like another installer when I opened it (I haven't used it yet).
  3. The installer does a "cleanup" process
  4. The installer says I must restart in order to continue, the only option is "Finish", "< Back" and "Cancel" are grayed out and disabled and not clickable.
  5. Immediately when that window pops up, a dialog pops up on top titled "Error" that says "An uninstall is in progress. You must complete that uninstall before continuing".  The only option is "OK", so I click it.
  6. The "You must restart your computer to finish the uninstall" window has an "X" in the upper right that does nothing when clicked.  This window also says "Uninstall will finish after your computer reboots."  , so I click "Finish" which is the only option.  
  7. The computer reboots and shortly after startup, the installation error/reboot cycle repeats

Option 2: Cancel the error report building

1. If I click "Cancel" during error reporting, I am given another dialog with two options "Continue" and "Retry"
  2. "Continue" leads to #3 listed above under "Option 1: Let The Error Report Be Built"
  3. "Retry" I think led to #4 listed above under "Install Process"

Option 3: Just cancel all the process with "HP" and "install" in the names

1. I canceled these processes and the windows/dialogs all went away
  2. Upon restarting my computer, I was taken back to #4 listed above under "Install Process"

What am I supposed to do???

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation