Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I tried all the suggestions including the water bath and it still does not work.  I guess we will buying a new printer. 

HP Recommended

Photosmart eStation C510

HP Recommended

Ignore all the posts saying soak for 5 minutes maximum!

Remove the print head and soak in a shallow bowl of hot water (60 degrees C); leave until the water is coloured with the ink.  Wash the bowl and the printhead until ink has apparently disappeared then leave to soak again.  Keep doing this again and again.  Normally there will be traces of the ink you are having problems with (in my case, black) at the bottom of the bowl.  Rinse out and repeat again until, after soaking for the time it takes for the water to cool significantly, there is no more trace of the ink in the bowl.

Dry the printhead VERY thoroughly; wrap in kitchen roll and shake very vigourously to remove any water; dry all the indentations by pushing kitchen roll into them and hopefully this will cure your problem.

It solved mine after trying the "solve for no longer than five minutes" technique about five times and using a complete cartridge of each coloured ink with which I didn't have a problem with all the cleaning processes etc

HP Recommended

Cartridgen is new.  Never used before.

HP Recommended

I would like to throw in my two cents on the subject of the black ink not printing.  I also have a HP 6500 Office jet E709a.

It is a little over 2 years old. I started having problems with the ink not printing about the time the 90 day warranty was up.

The colored inks started printing out pink  or green. I gave up on them and was only printing in black until the black would not print. I  looked on the discussion boards for a solution and ended up washing the print heads as instructed by HP. What a mess that was!  It never did fix the colored printing problem but did enable me to print the black until the other day.  I put new cartriges in thinking that might solve the problem. It did nothing, but to waste almost $100.00 on ink as I finally decided to invest in a new printer which will not be a HP.  I don't feel I should have to repeatedly clean the print heads on this printer.  HP has had this problem for some time and has done nothing to fix it. People have been complaining about this since 2008.

With the ink and paper that I have wasted with this problem I could have purchased another printer.

HP Recommended

First of all thanks for the solution...it really helps me with my officejet 6500.

But I´m scared about the fact that so many people have this problem. The problem occurs with the 2nd package of ink cartriges and both packages are original ones. When I compare the price for the cartriges with the price it will not match.

HP Recommended

The running under hot tap worked second time around.  Thank you to Bob Headrick for steering me in the right direction and to the other person who tried the hot tap trick.  Having tried hot tap method yesterday, it had not worked and I was about to order a new printer but thought, what the hell, have another go.  This time I spent about 45 mins alternating hot tap and soaking.  Everything was completely wet/flushed until eventually only the merest hint of grey coming from the printhead nozzles (where the ink comes out) when pressed on to kitchen towel .  (Yes, I did touch the printhead nozzles, even though not recommended).  Dried as best I could with kitchen towel, cotton wool and hair dryer on low.  Reinstalled (about an hour after I had first removed the cartridges/printhead), ignored printhead warnings, did a factory reset (# plus 3) and hey presto the alignment page printed successfully and everything working hunky dory.  Fingers crossed it keeps going. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

HP Recommended
I would like to know if this was resolved. I have the same problem.
HP Recommended

@DoctorTanner wrote:
I would like to know if this was resolved. I have the same problem.

What printer model? Many folks have had success with the troubleshooting steps in this post.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I changed both cartridges then turned off the printer for hours.  I kept trying to print black text from various locations.  I  tried printing almost every day for a week and all of a sudden it started working.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.