Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@hp10281945 wrote:

my hp photosmart will not accept paper from its tray.

This is off topic in this thread.  Please read this post then post in a new thread with details.  What printer model (there are a few hundred HP Photosmart models)? What operating system? Are there any error messages on the printer or computer screen?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob,

Your solution worked for me last fall, so when the same problem occured last week, I knew what to do. Unfortunately, I did not have the same luck this time. Tried soaking and the clean printhead option on printer. Taking the printhead out (after the cleaning), I find black ink smudged on the printhead, but what looks like a black line on the nozzle (brass slot), but none printed. As I look at the bottom of the printhead, I can clearly see red ink in a reservior (?) on one side, but the other side seems empty. Does this indicated that the black ink is still clogged? Is there anything else I can try?

HP Recommended

@techno_mommy wrote:

Bob,

Your solution worked for me last fall, so when the same problem occured last week, I knew what to do. Unfortunately, I did not have the same luck this time. Tried soaking and the clean printhead option on printer. Taking the printhead out (after the cleaning), I find black ink smudged on the printhead, but what looks like a black line on the nozzle (brass slot), but none printed. As I look at the bottom of the printhead, I can clearly see red ink in a reservior (?) on one side, but the other side seems empty. Does this indicated that the black ink is still clogged? Is there anything else I can try?

It may help to go through the soaking one more time.  I have also seen a number of cases where folks reported that letting the printer sit for a day or two resulted in the black recovering. 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Tried the soaking solution twice and it did not work for me.  Called HP and they shipped out a replacement cartridge, which did the trick.  Even though the old cartridge still showed 3/4 full and had only printed ~200 pages, it was apparently defective.  Everything has been working fine since.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, tried soaking several times and let it sit over the weekend. No luck. Will try a few more things before throwing in the towel, but just about there.

HP Recommended
It worked!! It took several cleaning cycles and re-aligning the heads. But now it works. After a soaked it in water, and re-installed it in the printer. A huge black blob came off and was stuck on the roller making a nice long mark on all the paper. But I cleaned it and now it is fine. Thanks Dude!
HP Recommended

I've got a Photosmart 5514.  Print head does not remove as per instructions.  No grey lever.  How do I get it out.

HP Recommended

@djc58 wrote:

I've got a Photosmart 5514.  Print head does not remove as per instructions.  No grey lever.  How do I get it out.

The troubleshooting steps in this document may help with black ink not printing on your Photosmart 5514.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Thank you  very much for the information given i was having the exact same problem with my printer and I follow your advice and reanse off with hot water and follow the cleaning instructions and after 20 minutes my printer was working as new. Thank you so much for your help

HP Recommended
black ink cartridge is brand new but won't print in black
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.