cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Carbo-Light
Level 1
3 2 0 6
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

HP 8610 poor scan quality (jpeg artefacts)

HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610
Linux

Just bought the HP8610.

I'm scanning under Linux Mint 17.1 (Rebecca) with xsane 0.998 with HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.15.4).

I observe jpeg artefacts in the scans, even when I save to PNG, suggesting that the data come from the scanner already compressed.

I observe similar results with scan to USB flash when saving as "PDF Color", that is not the first option called "PDF color (compressed)".

This was saved as PNG (300dpi) with xsane:

Equation.png

This is a screenshot of the image extracted from the PDF (300 dpi) saved to USB, magnified on screen with gThumb:

Screenshot from 2015-05-24 15:39:10.png

Artefacts clearly visible also in grey scale (again 300dpi saved to PNG in xsane, zoomed in with gThumb for clarity):

Screenshot from 2015-05-24 15:42:08.png

Please don't tell me that this is part of the image processing done on the HP8610 and I can't do anything about it.

7 REPLIES 7
Waterboy71
Retired
Retired
7,164 7,248 342 890
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Carbo-Light,

Welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that you are having an issue with the scan quality.

Seeing that HP does not have a Full Feature Software and Driver bundle for the Linux operating system, I suggest you go to Linux support to see about any troubleshooting options.

Thanks for your time.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
EngineerKen
1 1 0 1
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's not a Linux issue.

I just set up my OfficeJetPro 8610 as well and am also very unhappy with scanning and I'm running  Windows XP.

After messing with all available settings, I can only agree with Carbo-Light in that there appears to definitely be some form of uncontrollable jpg compression going on, regardless of the file format.  I scanned a photo in 600dpi into both a TIF (uncompressed) and a jpg and see ZERO difference between the two horrible images.  Like Carbo-Light said, please don't tell me this is un-fixable; I do occassional photo editing and require uncompressed scanned images.

Carbo-Light
Author
Level 1
3 2 0 6
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks  EngineerKen for confirming the defect and the fact that it's not Linux's fault.

I've thought of forcing a firmware update this morning. I now have Firmware version FDP1CN1502AR.

Unfortunately, there was no improvement at all. See below the comparison b/w HP8610 and "another scanner" (again images taken at 300dpi, saved as PNG, zoomed in with gThumb and then screenshot taken and saved as PNG).

HP8610 scanLiDE

If you doubt: left is HP8610, right is the other.

I'd say the comparison in rather embarassing. How can I fix this?

Many thanks in advance.

erikiscool
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue - also with white flecks which are not on the original!

0 Kudos
phbcanada
1 1 0 1
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same issue here with a deskjet F335.

Scan resolution is not actually increasing. A scan at 4800 dpi looks the same as a scan at 2400 with a digital zoom.
Compression artifacts are HORRIBLE even with Tiff and PNG.

Why has HP support not replied to this issue?

Tags (1)
Gemini02
Retired
Retired
16,806 17,101 1,041 2,643
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings @phbcanada,

Thanks for accessing the HP Support Forums for extra support! I see that you are experiencing issues with the quality of the scans. I would be happy to help you. 

I would do a hard reset to see if that will resolve the issue.
Leave the printer on and unplug the power cable from the printer
and wall outlet for 60 seconds.
Then reconnect the power cable to the printer and wall outlet
rather than a surge protector.

This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help
this situation.

Are you having the same issue when making a copy?

It may be a hardware issue with the scanner.

If you are still having issues, download and run the Print and Scan Doctor. It will diagnose the issue and might automatically if it is software related.
Let me know the results.

What operating system and scanning software are you using?

If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. If you wish, to say thanks for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos. Please let me know the outcome. Have a nice day!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Carbo-Light
Author
Level 1
3 2 0 6
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Gemini02

I'm sorry but the cause of the issue is rather clear: heavy jpeg compression occorring at firmware level.

The procedures suggested by you are a waste of time. Hard reset? unlikely. Not enough power? these are DIGITAL devices operating and giving an output, which is a fine file but with poor quality. I'd expect tons of erratic behaviour from an unsufficiently powered device (that for some reason manages to stay ON), but a PNG with jpg artefacts is not one of them.

We'd need HP firmware developers to look at this. I'm sure there are tons of competent programmers there.

BTW: I've now sold the HP8610 and running a cheap flatbed scanner and laser printer (sorry, neither is HP). I miss the autofeeder of the HP8610, but it was pretty useless with the file quality coming out of it.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation