Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

dear sir/madam,

Previously,my hp deskjet 2645 was printing and scanning normally. After a series of windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit) updates, my printer has stopped working. the test page failed to print on windows. however, using the hp print and scan doctor, the test page can be printed.  Using any other software cant seem to make the printer print.  I have checked my usb cables, reinstalled the print drivers, ran the scan doctor (No problems found) but i still cant print the test page on windows printer properties. Please advice on how to solve this issue.

thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello Lukasm,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you're unable to print a document from any program using the Deskjet 2645. I will do my best to assist you! I would recommend uninstalling the software on your computer. Please follow this HP document on Uninstalling the Printer Software. Make sure you remove the USB cord out of the computer.

Next, please clean out your Temp folder by following this YouTube video here. Now, perform a clean boot on your computer by following this Microsoft document here. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program.

Once this is complete, install the full feature software from the HP website here. Please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you. Have a great night! Smiley Happy

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

i followed your steps:

1. uninstalled printer software

2. unplug usb

3. Cleaned Temp

4. Clean booted

5. Installed Full Software

But when i right click on the printer properties, clicked on print test page, it failed to print.

see screenshot here:

HP-test page failed.jpg

When i run the print and scan doctor, everything is alright, even the test page was printed correctly.

see attached scan copy:

Scan.jpg

However, when i click on any other software to print, it doesn't spool the job or have any reaction from the printer.

i suspect it's the print spooler of the windows 8.1 64 bit perhaps? my other printers are working when i clicked on print.

Please advice on how to solve this issue.

thanks,

HP Recommended

Finally got it working.

Previously i tried to install the software without elevated admin rights. the software did not install or gave any reaction. therefore, i installed it using the elevated admin. I think this elevated admin has something to do with the temp folder.

This time, i uninstalled everything as per your instruction again. But :

1.  for the temp folder, i right clicked and added everyone to full access of the temp folder.

2. then i installed the hp full software without elevation

3. everything installed fine and test print even works!

For those who's having similar problems like me, hopefully this helps.

Cheers,

Andrew

HP Recommended

Had a problem in HP Deskjet pro 8610 installation allways ending in not able to print - even not the test print page.

Well your hint making very hting in the temp folder accessible by evryone HELPED (after delete and complete reinstall of the HP drivers)

Thanks a lot you saved my day/night!

HP Recommended

I don't know HOW you ever figured that out, but it sure fixed my installation issue with my new 8620.  Thank you for the direction!

HP Recommended

I just bought a new HP Envy 4500 and I have the same problem.

1. Test print from HP tool is OK but test print from Windows always fails.

2. Cannot print from other application (e.g. MS Office)

3. "0 document(s) in queue" displayed in print status

Installing latest driver doesnt work.

But, after I tried your tip, everything works perfectly.

Thanks a lot.

Marlon 

HP Recommended

Is it safe to make Temp folder can be accesssed by everyone in the network?

But thanks, your advice is the best solution for now. Now I can print with Microsoft Office too..

HP Recommended

Giving "everyone" access to your temp folder will definitely be a security risk.

U might want to try giving access only to your own user account and to your administrator account. However, some programs would not work as planned.

I think this has got to do with "certain" softwares that change your temp account security access settings everytime on your pc reboot.

HP Recommended

OK, thanks for advice, so this is dangerous.

So what is the solution I can do?

I can't print with my Office Word, Excel, etc except doing that.

Maybe giving some access but how..

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.