cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Dr-O
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

HP Deskjet 1512 prints but does not scan from computer windows 8.1.

HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 1512
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I had an HP 1510 which worked perfectly (printed & scanned) until the carriage wore out.  So, I tossed it into the dumpster and went back to Walmart to buy another, this time, a 1512.  I mean, we're only talking $40 here.

The 1512 prints and copies, as well as scans the calibration page from the printer. 

But, it will not scan from the computer, an Acer Aspire with Windows 8.1.

Moreover, when I try to load more software, it tells me that the printer is not connected to the computer!!

But, it prints from the computer!!

I changed the USB-dooley-whats-it cable 3 times, and it STILL says that the printer is not connected to the computer!  How is that possible?  I want Carly Fiorino to get on this!

-David-

5 REPLIES 5
VigneshBPrinter
Level 3
Level 3
27 27 3 5
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

This is vignesh B.

Welcome to HP Consumer Support Forum. I am happy to assist you!

I understand that you are facing issues with the USB connection.

Please follow the troubleshooting steps.

1. Please press and hold the windows key + R button. Type "Appwiz.cpl" and please uninstall all the programs that are related to HP DeskJet 1512.

2. Once it is uninstalled, restart the computer and the printer. 

3. Reinstall the software and please do not plug in the USB cable. 

4. Once the installation starts, it will prompt you to connect the USB cable.

5. Please connect the USB cable and complete the installation. 

6. If it doesnt work, try with the different USB ports.

I am pretty sure that the issue is because of the pre-installed USB drivers. If you uninstall and reinstall. It will work fine.

Please contact 1-800-474-6836 for any assistance. We work 24*7.

Thank you for choosing HP. Have a wonderful day ahead.

Please click the "Thumbs Up", to say thanks for helping!

Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue.

I am an HP Employee.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ReverseTalk
Level 7
Level 7
385 375 23 104
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Dr-O,

Is there a scanning error? That can better help me help you. 🙂

Otherwise, here are a few docs on scanning issues for your printer:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Deskjet-1510-All-in-One-Printer-series/5157551/model/5385180/...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Deskjet-1510-All-in-One-Printer-series/5157551/model/5385180/...

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.
Dr-O
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Vignesh!

I have spent all yesterday afternoon and this morning uninstalling and reinstalling the 1510 software as instructed using different USB hubs without success.

Before, I could get the 1512 to print, but not scan from the computer.  Now,  the printer is not recognized at all, so I cannot get it to print. 

Although the icon of the 1510 is on my desktop, when I click it, it keeps wanting me to re-attach the USB cord and fails to recognize when I have attached it.

I am happy to pay someone to come here and fix it.

Very frustrated,

David

Dr-O
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, now it prints. 

It seems that the "scan doctor" is not able to resolve the scan problem, continuing to say that the printer is not connected.

If the USB connection is the problem, how to I connect in another way?

-David-

ReverseTalk
Level 7
Level 7
385 375 23 104
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Dr-O,

According to the printer specifications for the Deskjet 1512, your printer does not have any other way to connect to your printer (such as wireless or Ethernet). It can be connected only by USB. You could try another USB cable to resolve the connection issue?

I suggest calling tech support to see if you really need a new USB cable.

If you live in the US or Canada, please contact HP Total care for support needs at 1-800-474-6836.

If you are out side of those countries visit this link http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html.

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation