Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 12 (5,134 Views)

HP Network Devices Support Error 126

• Problem Description - after installing HP Photosmart e-all-in-one D110 series printer, the HP Network Device service does not detect the HP product
  • Printer Model:  D110a/HP Photosmart ePrint all-in-one
  • Operating System  (including service pack revision):  Windows 7 - Home Edition/32-bit/Service Pack 1
  • Connection Method - USB, Hardwired LAN, Wireless?  Wireless
  • Error messages - on printer screen and/or computer, any blinking light patterns:  Error 126: The specified module could not be found - message received when trying to start the HP Network Devices Support service
Per Microsoft Bulletin KB959077, I have verified that HPSLPSVC32.dll is in the registry. I have also verified that it is NOT in the specified path -
c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\HPSLPSVC32.dll.
The bulletin says to copy the file from the server in the correct folder and the service should start.
The printer shows up in the Network until I turn the PC off.  I cannot install the HP Solutions Center
The printer will display the embedded web server.
When I run the HP Home Network Diagnostic Utility, it says the software is missing.  The software will install without error.
Any suggestions?  Help.............

0 Kudos
Top Student
Message 2 of 12 (3,367 Views)

Re: HP Network Devices Support Error 126

I have the same problem with a HP Officejet 6500A Plus.  When I look at the services that are running on my Windows 7 32bit machine, I notice that the HP Network Devices Support service is not running.  When I try to start the service, I get a message that "Windows could not start the service error 126: Module could not be found".  Any help from HP would be appreciated, albeit surprising.

Retired
Message 3 of 12 (3,352 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello raydec146. I understand you are witness the 126 error when trying to start the Network Device. I will provide troubleshooting, and it is very important you follow the instructions careful. Before you attempt this troubleshooting, please review this document on backing up and modifying the Windows Registry.

Please make sure you backup the registry before modifying it. When you ready, please follow these instructions:

Method 1 (Only follow this method if the registry key in step c does not exist):

a) Go into your C Drive, and locate the C:\Windows\Servicing\Version. Record the name of the subfolder in this directory, which is usually a weird number. This is your TrustedInstaller ID.
b) Next, in the C:\Windows\WinSxS directory, locate the  subfolder whose name begins with one of the following strings:

For 32-bit Windows

x86_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_ TrustedInstaller ID _none

For 64-bit Windows

amd64_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_ TrustedInstaller ID _none

*At this point, if you are unable to locate either of these, you will likely need to reinstall Windows to resolve this issue.

c) Create this registry key (ensure if doesn't exist first): HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Version. (First, you need to be an owner of the "Component Based Servicing" key, and you have to have full permissions.)
d) Now, create an expandable string value (or edit it if it was already generated). To do this, use the TrustedInstaller ID as your name, and insert the entire path of the folder that you identified in step 3 (this will be the value. You must use %SystemRoot%\WinSxS\folder_name, instead of C:\Windows\WinSxS\folder_name.

Method 2 (If the registry key does exist):

a) Check the registry path and look for a key, referencing a path to a .DLL file. Then actually follow that path to see if it actually exists, or if the .DLL is actually there.
b) Change the path in the key to a path where the .DLL is, and try to start the service again.

c) If the path exists, you will likely need to reinstall Windows to resolve the issue.

Please inform me when you complete troubleshooting, and provide your results. I'm only here to help!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
Top Student
Message 4 of 12 (3,341 Views)

Thank you very much Mario for you quick and thorough response.  The problem I seem to be having has nothing to do with the registry however.  The registry has the entry, it's that the dll, does not present on my hard drive.  When the service tries to start, it does not find HPSLPSCC32.dll.

Top Student
Message 5 of 12 (3,334 Views)

Sorry, my typing skills are limited.  What I meant to say is that there is a registry entry, but the file, HPSLPSVC32.dll does not reside on my hard drive.  The the service tries to start, it can't find the dll.

Retired
Message 6 of 12 (3,319 Views)

Could you send me a screenshot of the error message regarding HPSLPSVC32.dll? I'm just a little unsure of where it is occurring.

Additionally, when you see the error again, can you check this file path: C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\HPSLPSVC32.DLL

This will confirm whether or not this file is missing, or if it simply is not able to be located.

Mario

Top Student
Message 7 of 12 (3,315 Views)

I took the screenshot, but not sure how to send it to you.  Basically, when I try to start the service I get a error 126 telling me that the module could not be found.  I checked the directory you suggested and HPSLPSVC32.DLL is not there.  I then searched my entire C:\ drive for the file, but the file could not be found.

Retired
Message 8 of 12 (3,313 Views)

For the screenshot, just create another post and insert the picture. Worst-case scenario, send me the picture in a private message, and I will see it.

Mario

Top Student
Message 9 of 12 (3,308 Views)

Sorry Mario, but I'm kinda new at this posting thing.  How do I send a private message?

Retired
Message 10 of 12 (3,307 Views)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation