Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

We are staring a new office and got some brand new virtual desktops based on windows 7 running on top of a VMware ESX host and a brand new printer, it is connected via Wi-Fi with a bridge. Network conectivity is working OK, because I can print, ping the printer and access the management web interface on it.

When I try to scan I get: "scanner communication cannot be established".

I tried most of the solutions proposed in this thread:

* Dowload and install the HP Print and scan doctor -> It can't find the printer so end of game

* Install the full drivers -> didn't change anything

* Restart the MIA services -> same thing

* Turn off the windows firewall -> same thing

So I want to uninstall all the HP software  + drivers and make a clean start. I can uninstall everything execept the Basic Device Software. Each time I try I get this error:

"Error - 2081883393: Failed to get devices"

Can someone please point me in the right direction? There has to be a way to cleanlly remove the software and drivers to make a clean start.

Thanks in advance

HP Recommended

start->run->type "services.msc" no quotes->enter

Locate the "Windows Image Acquisition" service

Double click on it.

click the "Logon"

Check "Local sytem account"

check "Allow service to interact with desktop"

click "apply"

click "ok"

click "restart" up on the top left to restart the Windows Image Acquistion service.

Should be able to scan now.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. It makes sense but it didn't fix the problem.

I actually used a new VM to install the drivers fresh and it worked, yesturday. I even managed to use this with different users on the machine.

Today the same machine were everything was working is behaving the same as the others ==> Not working.

Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Mine finally works and I even have an email address for it. I kept clicking on the screen on the printer itself until I found the setup wizard and went through the necessary steps. I also got itplaced on our home network so my router recognizes it to and created an email address so we can print on demand from anywhere in the world but then the printer has to be turned on unless it keeps it in que which it will probably do. Work with the screen on the printer itself, not on anything in your computer.

Spend a little time with Jesus 'cuz he spends a lot of time with you. So
can you not tarry an hour? Start in baby steps.......ten minutes can grow
to an hour. In the garden Christ asked could you not tarry an hour?
Carolyn Bigler Hebert - 04/26/2016
HP Recommended

Thanks it worked.  used "services.msc" and it worked!  Thanks for you time.

HP Recommended

Frustrated non-tech was able to implement this solution - thanks for the clear instructions.

HP Recommended

Hi johncary,

Can you make a standalone copy from the printer?

What is the operating system on your computer?

How do you have the printer connected to your computer?

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

Follow the steps below to check the WIA Service:
1. Type services.msc in run or search program and files
2. Scroll down to the WIA Windows Image Acquisition
3. Make sure that this service is running. Click Stop, and then Restart to make sure
4. Restart the computer

Restart the Dependencies services:
1. Click on Start, in Search box type “services” without quotes.
2. Scroll down until you see Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).
3. Double click on it and go to the tab called Dependencies.
4. 2 services should be listed.
5. Exit that window and look for Remote Procedure Call (RPC).
6. Make sure it’s on manual or if it is on Auto, just leave it. Make sure the service is started though.
7. Go to Shell Hardware Detection and Double click.
8. Set the Start up Type as Manual and hit Apply.
9. You should be able to Start the service by hitting Start.
10. Now you are done and the Twain Manager should be working and not give you an error. This should fix your problem

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

I worked all night last night trying to resolve this problem and spent at least 3 hours or more with HP tech support to no avail.  I read this post and within 30 seconds all was working.  Thank you very much!

HP Recommended

you weren't using Win7 Ultimate, eh?;  Regardless, glad you have some relief;  

this whole thing whips me.\

When my ink runs out (or evaporates.... how ever that works?!) i'm not sure where i'll turn.

HP Recommended

Hi bowser66,

Glad the hear the issue is resolved. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.