Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Brett and others,

My 309a's problem started out just like yours - the power to it was accidentally cut off. Now, I get the message saying Printer Disconnected. Under Network settings, there's no IP address. The printer is out of warranty by 4 months, of course, and HP wants to charge $20 to help me this once or $47 for unlimited phone support for a year. I've gone through all the steps the HP Solution Center offered, with no luck. An error message has also come up about an incompatible USB drive being connected and a USB drive is NOT in the printer. I've reset my router and modem. The only other thing I can think of is to uninstall the printer and re-install it. Any other ideas??

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Turn the printer off, hold the # and 6 keys while turning it back on to reset the printer.

If that does not do it it may have died.  From the front of the printer: Setup > Network > Wireless Network Test.  What does it say?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

The same thing just happened to my C309a, 4 months out of warranty.  It had an error message about an incompatible USB drive but none were connected and then I could no longer connect wirelessly to my net work.  I have tried all of the above with no resolution.  It appears the wireless component is dead with no reason as to why it happened.  You would think it would last longer than 17 months for the price of the printer.  Not impressed at all.

HP Recommended

That did not work.  The test shows 'FAIL' for Wireless Working.

I guess the wireless is dead.  Is there an inexpensive way to replace it?

HP Recommended

My wireless passes all tests but still will not connect to my Mac; printer listed as offline; signal strength is listed as low; any ideas

HP Recommended

DLB1111,  Do the tests indicate that the printer has a valid IP address (i.e., not 0.0.0.0 or 169.254.x.x)?  If so, then your problem is likely your router or computer.

Let's start with a reset of the the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

It seems like a common thread is that the printer cannot see ANY wireless routers.  If it was only the owners router would be one thing.  However, there are a number of other routers in the area that all my devices (except the printer) can detect and the printer sees none of them.  it just keeps searching until I cancel - once after 30 minutes.

The question of replacing the wireless card was a good one.  Is there a replacement and is it easy to replace?

Thanks

HP Recommended

I have had my printer for 13 mos.  And guess what, I am off line now and cannot print.  My wireless is evidently bad also.  I find this amazing, when you look at all the people on this link that is suddenly having the same problems.  Even my Mother experienced this same problem a month ago.  Is there an update that is causing all of this to happen so HP can make more money?  If this is what my money buys from HP I will no longer buy from them.  I happen to work for a company, Caterpillar that does follow through with customer service, not try to nickel and dime every chance they get.  What a scam........

HP Recommended

I think the issue may be that HP makes a very chintzy wi-fi card that fails when minor power fluctuations occur.

Does anyone know if a USB wi-fi would work on the C309a

HP Recommended

A new WiFi card?

I don't think that's a fair solution.

My printer "mysteriously" fixes itself after I've torn all my hair out trying to find solutions through HP Support (support....that's a laugh!)

This is a beautiful machine. AND I have a beautiful PC. But either HP or Windows does their update crap and stops all printing between the two.

I hate HP.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.